Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fishie Fossil

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Can Any One Id This Fossil? indian relics 300.jpg

indian relics 301.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't see a fossil.

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    correct , kinda,,it is a pre-historic carving from a dino tooth

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lousy pictures --- one barely shows bone, or plant stem --- the other's just shadow. Turn the rock over and take a picture of what's showing in the lower left of the upper right hand picture in the OP.

What's this doing in "Social Science," anyway?

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Because archaeology is listed here under social science.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with Bystander - I do not understand what you mean - by "fishie" do you mean fake?

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Fossil" denotes anything dug from the ground if one works from the strictest definition of the word. Conventionally, archaeologists dig anthropogenic "artifacts" from the ground, paleontologists dig "fossils" of any life forms from the ground, and geologists dig "fossils" of geologic processes from the ground (Okla a "fossil" reactor, Chinle formation, a "fossil" river). Is "Lucy" a "fossil" or an "artifact?" Yeah, there's overlap, and archaeologists, anthropologists, and paleontologists are forever poaching on each others' turf; the first two are "social sciences" in most classification schemes, and the the third is regarded as earth or life science.

Is the OP showing us a fragment of furniture embedded in consolidated ash fall from Pompeii or Herculaneum, dinosaur rib from the Morisson, petrified wood from who knows where, fish bone from Kansas? Hard to tell without a better photograph. Addressing the question in more detail, a photograph of a large indistinct chunk of the matrix in which a fossil is embedded is NOT a fossil --- photograph the anomalous structure, color, shape.

9. Oct 10, 2006 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yep, I know, it was decided to lump everything together because there wasn't enough posting individually, paleontology was grouped with anthropology and archaeology.

I can't make out what the picture is either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?