Plotting 137Cs Activity in a 1Gw Fission Reactor: What Are the Key Factors?

In summary, the activity of 137Cs in a 1Gw fission reactor over a period of 100 years is requested. The reactor operates for 20 years before shutting down, at which point all fission reactions and production of radioactive fission fragments cease. 6% of fissions produce a 137Cs fragment and there is no 137Cs present at the start of operation. More information is needed, such as the energy released per fission and the radioactive source used. It is suggested to ask for help on the Nuclear Engineering forum.
Kromboy85
Hello, I am asked to plot the activity of 137Cs in a 1Gw fission reactor over time of 100 years if the reactor is active from 0-20 years and shuts down at 20 years.

So here are the facts:

The reactor capacity is 1Gw
Reactor is active for the first 20 years then shuts down
At shutdown, all fission reactions stop and production of all radioactive fission fragments stop as well.
* 6% of the fissions produce a 137 Cs fragment
* There is no 137Cs in the reactor at the beginning of operation.

So, if I'm given the progression of radioactive decay, I think I should be able to plot the activity of 137Cs.

But, all I am given is the fact that the reactor is a 1Gw reactor.
So I would need to know energy released per fission and what the radioactive source used is. Since this is not given in the problem, I believe it may be a standard.

Does anybody know what radioactive isotope is used to power fission reactors? Also, how much energy is released per fission in such a case? Then if you can also tell me how the radioactive isotope we begin with decay to 137Cs, that would be wonderful.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to try the Nuclear Engineering forum if you don't get any help here.

Kromboy85 said:
Hello, I am asked to plot the activity of 137Cs in a 1Gw fission reactor over time of 100 years if the reactor is active from 0-20 years and shuts down at 20 years.

So here are the facts:

The reactor capacity is 1Gw
Reactor is active for the first 20 years then shuts down
At shutdown, all fission reactions stop and production of all radioactive fission fragments stop as well.
* 6% of the fissions produce a 137 Cs fragment
* There is no 137Cs in the reactor at the beginning of operation.

So, if I'm given the progression of radioactive decay, I think I should be able to plot the activity of 137Cs.

But, all I am given is the fact that the reactor is a 1Gw reactor.
So I would need to know energy released per fission and what the radioactive source used is. Since this is not given in the problem, I believe it may be a standard.

Does anybody know what radioactive isotope is used to power fission reactors? Also, how much energy is released per fission in such a case? Then if you can also tell me how the radioactive isotope we begin with decay to 137Cs, that would be wonderful.

Thank you

Drakkith said:
You may want to try the Nuclear Engineering forum if you don't get any help here.

Actually, since this question is for schoolwork, I'm moving it to Homework Help / Advanced Physics.

1. What is a fission reactor and how does it work?

A fission reactor is a type of nuclear reactor that uses the process of nuclear fission to generate energy. In this process, atoms of a radioactive material, such as uranium, are split into smaller atoms, releasing large amounts of energy. This energy is then used to heat water, which creates steam to turn turbines and generate electricity.

2. What is the main source of radioactivity in a fission reactor?

The main source of radioactivity in a fission reactor is the radioactive material used as fuel, such as uranium or plutonium. These materials emit high-energy particles and radiation as they undergo the process of nuclear fission.

3. How is radioactivity controlled in a fission reactor?

Radioactivity is controlled in a fission reactor through several safety measures, such as using containment structures, control rods, and cooling systems. The containment structure surrounds the reactor core and is designed to prevent the release of radioactive materials. Control rods absorb excess neutrons and help regulate the rate of fission reactions. Cooling systems help remove heat from the reactor to prevent overheating and potential meltdowns.

4. What are the potential risks associated with fission reactor radioactivity?

The main risks associated with fission reactor radioactivity include radiation exposure, nuclear accidents, and the long-term storage of radioactive waste. Exposure to high levels of radiation can cause serious health issues, and nuclear accidents can have catastrophic consequences. Additionally, the disposal of radioactive waste is a complex and costly process that must be carefully managed to prevent harm to humans and the environment.

5. How is the safety of fission reactors monitored and regulated?

The safety of fission reactors is monitored and regulated by various organizations, including the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and national regulatory bodies. These organizations set safety standards and regularly inspect reactors to ensure they are operating safely. Additionally, the operators of fission reactors are required to have emergency response plans in place in case of accidents or incidents.