Fit Distributions Software

In summary, the best software for working on data fit distributions may vary depending on your specific needs. However, using software that allows you to see and modify the source code can be beneficial in ensuring transparency and avoiding unexpected results. Some popular options for statistical packages include Mathematica, Maple, SPSS, SAS, MATLAB, and JMP. If your distribution is not supported, you may want to consider using a chi-square goodness of fit test. Ultimately, the best option may be to write your own software or hire someone to do so, as this allows for complete customization and transparency.
Mark J.
Hi.
Which is the best software to use working on data fit distributions from your experience?

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Anything I write myself, followed by anything I can get the source code for.
Software that hides what it is doing has limited use in science.

Simon Bridge said:
Anything I write myself, followed by anything I can get the source code for.
Software that hides what it is doing has limited use in science.

You can't be serious.

People use software packages all the time that do routines that we trust where we do not have the full source code. You think we have the source code for Mathematica, Maple, SPSS, SAS, MATLAB, JMP and so on?

For the OP look at some statistical packages which may do it for common distributions.

If your distribution is not supported one idea would be to use a chi-square goodness of fit test.

When I last used matlab, you could look in the m-files but not at the engine.

For my thesis I would set up the simulations in MATLAB or gnu/octave and when I thought I had something I would convert the whole thing to C.

I had colleagues who were always getting caught out by some little wrinkle that MATLAB or whatever did not handle quite right.

What you use depends on what you want to do - how important is it and how much scrutiny will it be subject to? But the very best, which was the question, is going to be specifically tailored to the task and completely transparent .. eg. something you wrote yourself (or hired someone better than you to write for you.)

You don't need the source code if you don't expect to get any unusual results. But if someone is likely to ask if what you found is really there or just an artifact of the computer program - you need the source. For publishes science you need, on hand, everything another researcher needs to duplicate your results.

These days gnu/octave fits my needs ... especially with the power of modern computers. The skills using it translate to other scripting languages. I know people who swear by spreadsheets ... which I personally find painful.

I have had experience working with various software for fitting data distributions. In my opinion, the best software to use for this task would depend on the specific needs and requirements of your research or project. Some popular options include R, MATLAB, and Python, each of which has its own strengths and capabilities for fitting distributions. It is important to consider factors such as the type of data you are working with, the complexity of the distribution fitting, and the availability of support and resources for the software. Ultimately, the best software for you would be one that you are comfortable using and that provides reliable and accurate results for your specific data and analysis. I would recommend researching and experimenting with different options to determine which one suits your needs best.

What is Fit Distributions Software?

Fit Distributions Software is a statistical tool used by researchers and scientists to analyze and fit data to specific probability distributions. It allows for the comparison of different distributions and helps determine which one best fits the data.

Why is Fit Distributions Software important in scientific research?

Fit Distributions Software is important because it helps researchers make statistical inferences about their data. By fitting data to probability distributions, researchers can make predictions and draw conclusions about the underlying processes that generated the data.

How does Fit Distributions Software work?

Fit Distributions Software uses mathematical algorithms to analyze data and determine which probability distribution best fits the data. It takes into account the shape, size, and variability of the data to make the best fit.

What types of data can be analyzed using Fit Distributions Software?

Fit Distributions Software can analyze various types of data, including continuous, discrete, and categorical data. It can also handle data with different sample sizes and distributions.

Are there any limitations to using Fit Distributions Software?

Like any statistical tool, Fit Distributions Software has its limitations. It assumes that the data follows a specific probability distribution and may not work well with data that does not fit any known distributions. It is also important for researchers to carefully interpret the results and not rely solely on the software's output.