Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting a cosine function to an inflection point and a point with known derivative

1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    I am trying to fit a cosine function to two points knowing that the first is an inflection point (e.g. a trough) and also knowing the gradient at the second. I have a gut feeling this has a unique solution it just needs the right identities and massaging but as of yet I haven't found the way:

Consider a cosine function:

y(x)=A.cos(B.x)+C

and derivative:

y'(x)=B.A.sin(B.x)

and given:

y(0)=Y0
    y(X1)=Y1
    y'(X1)=DY1

where X1, Y0,Y1 and DY1 are known constants

find the analytical solution for A,B and C

My boundless gratitude to anyone who can solve this.

Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Fitting a cosine function to an inflection point and a point with known derivativ

In general, I would expect that your solution is not unique.

Using the inflection point, you know where y''(x1)=0, this will give you several possible values for B. In addition, y(x1)=C fixes C.
    For each value of B, you can then calculate the gradient at your second point and solve that for A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook