1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting a model to a data

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to fit a model to some data, where y = systolic blood pressure and x = time in weeks. The problem is, all of the 'usua' trendline options on Excel produce awful R squared values. Is there some other method I can do to fit a different sort of model that would be accurate?

2. Relevant equations
    None that I know.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Only thing I can put here are the graphs, but that seems a little pointless.

Weeks (x)

Systolic BP (mmHg) (y)

Thanks heaps!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2
    I'm not sure anything other than a linear fit will be good. That data, from what I saw when I plotted it, is pretty scattered. That's why your R squared value is so low. You will either need more data or more precise data in order to get a better trendline.

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When plotted, your data looks almost random, with considerable "noise" masking the signal. That is why your R is so large---as it should be! It would be a great mistake to try to fit an accurate formula to random data.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook