How can I overlay a GPS track on a city map using GIS software?

In summary, to plop a GPS track on top of a map of a small region, you can use GIS software like ArcGIS, QGIS, or GRASS to visualize and manipulate the data and create a customized map with your shapefiles.
JesseC
I have a GPS track I'd like to plop on top of a map. The region of the track is very small, no bigger than the area of a city. I also have a bunch of shape files to build up a map of the city with all the buildings, roads, etc. in separate shp files. Although the shape files actually contain data for an entire region, I'm only interested in the a small portion of city.

Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Or could they nudge me in the right general direction?

(I'm pretty proficient with most MATLAB things but mapping is new to me)

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to do this is to use a Geographic Information System (GIS) software. GIS software allows you to visualize, manipulate, and analyze geographic data. Popular GIS software includes ArcGIS, QGIS, and GRASS. With GIS software, you can bring in your GPS track and shapefiles and view them together on a map. You can also clip out the portion of the shapefiles that you're interested in and display only that portion on the map. You can also use GIS software to create new layers from your shapefiles and add additional features such as labels, legends, etc.

1. How accurate is the GPS track on a city map?

The accuracy of a GPS track on a city map can vary depending on a few factors such as the quality of the GPS device, the terrain and buildings in the area, and any interference from other signals. Generally, GPS tracks can have an accuracy of around 5-10 meters in urban areas, but this can be improved by using more advanced GPS devices and techniques such as differential GPS.

2. Can I use any city map with my GPS track?

In most cases, you can use any city map with your GPS track as long as the map is accurate and up-to-date. However, it's important to keep in mind that some maps may not have all the necessary details or may not be completely accurate, which can affect the accuracy of your GPS track.

3. How do I calibrate my GPS track on a city map?

To calibrate your GPS track on a city map, you will need to use a software or app that allows you to import the map and your GPS track. You will then need to match specific points on the map to the corresponding points on your GPS track. This process is called georeferencing and it helps align the GPS track with the map for accurate positioning.

4. Can I fit multiple GPS tracks on one city map?

Yes, you can fit multiple GPS tracks on one city map as long as the map is large enough and the tracks do not overlap too much. This can be useful for comparing different routes or for tracking multiple activities in the same area.

5. Will my GPS track automatically adjust to changes in the city map?

No, your GPS track will not automatically adjust to changes in the city map. If there are any changes in the map, such as new roads or buildings, you will need to manually update or re-calibrate your GPS track to ensure accuracy. It's important to regularly check for updates to the city map and make any necessary adjustments to your GPS track.