Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting problem with shaft

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I have a DC motor that have these dimensions: http://www.micromotorssrl.com/motor_l149/L149.pdf [Broken] and the problem that i have is to make the "D-hole" in a solid 6mm steel shaft. At the bottom of the hole i was planing to put a neodymium magnet so that you easily could remove and put back the shaft. I don´t have access to industrial tools.

Anyone have any smart suggestions how to do this o anyther fast way to mount the shaft? Is the only way to do it to mold it?

Best Regards,
    Flux110

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi flux,
    this isn't clear to me. Do you have a motor with a shaft that has a flat spot on it as shown in the link? Are you trying to put a D shaped hole into a pully or something so the motor can drive it? Not sure what the magnet is for either. If you're trying to make a D shaped hole, the easy thing to do would be to make a round hole and put a set screw on the flat spot. Maybe you can elaborate on what it is you're trying to do.

4. May 17, 2010 #3
    Hi Q_Goest,

So i have a a motor with a shaft that has a flat spot on in as shown in the .pdf.
    And now i want to make a shaft to connect to the motorshaft that has the dimensions of the attached picture. But the problem is how to make the "D-hole" without to mold it from scratch or an exspensive industrial laser?

The magnet in the bottom of the "D-hole" is so that the shaft wont drop of when it is connected to the motorshaft in a vertical position and also because its a fast attach system with no screws or nuts.

"If you're trying to make a D shaped hole, the easy thing to do would be to make a round hole and put a set screw on the flat spot." Didin´t really understod what you meant by this, could you explain more i detail?

Attached Files:

5. May 17, 2010 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you drill a hole for the motor shaft to be inserted into, then drill and tap another hole at 90 degrees for a set screw? See attached.

Attached Files:

6. May 18, 2010 #5
    That would work but i dont want it that way it will take to long to add and remove the shaft..
    It has to be "user friendly" thats why id like to just have a D-hole to insert it to

7. May 18, 2010 #6

wolram

Gold Member

It may be best for you to get hold of an RS catalogue (mechanical volume), once you have one you can see what your options are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook