Fitting VS Control Point?

  1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    If I construct a curve such start from point A0, A3, to point A6 where A1-A2 and A4-A5 are control points, is called a Bezier curve.


    What is it called by and what its equation if I construct and fit a curve start from point A0 > A1 > A2 > A3 > A4 > A5 > A6 such as below image?

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2
    It is called a "spline",

    and fitting one usually involves solving a band-diagonal system of equations, and some notions of calculus. (Or you could google for a software library that does the work.)

    P.S.: There are actually many kinds of splines; the ones I had in mind, "cubic splines", are described in a link on the Wiki page I mentioned,

    But again, it's reinventing the wheel as there are probably libraries to do so.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    gnuplot will do that for you.

    Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Discussions: Fitting VS Control Point?
  1. Fitting A Curve (Replies: 1)

  2. Curve fitting (Replies: 0)