Five thousand or Five thousands?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
Originally posted by Andy
Dont be so stupid! Its throw ANOTHER shrimp on the barbie,
Well EXCUsee MEe:wink:

1) Terms and conditions subject to change, OR
2) Terms and conditions subjected to change.

Sunfist
Okay, as a professional writer, a student of forestry, and a native speaker, (amongst other things), I feel I HAVE to say something here.

Fishes is most definitely a correct way to say more than one type of fish. It is also used quite frequently amongst people that deal with fishes.

Next, to Saint, if you are trying to learn English, I feel sorry for you. It is an abomination. Or rather, it is a conglomeration. We don't have the strict rules and history of most other languages. We are too new. We mix rules from multiple languages. We have more than one way to spell the same phonetic sounds. It is incredibly difficult to learn English because it's so non-rigid but there are many things which most definitely sound completely wrong and set you apart as someone who doesn't know the language. For example, a native speaker will never say, "Yesterday I go to market."

There is one good thing, though. English is sort of Zen. :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Saint
1) Terms and conditions subject to change, OR
2) Terms and conditions subjected to change.
Probably neither, almost any native speaker would say "Terms and conditions are subject to change." The first one is technically correct, but the form "are changing" shows that the phrase is passive, the terms and conditions are being changed, they are not changing themselves.

by the way, what language do you speak natively? I'm sure it must be especially hard to learn english if your native language is not latin based, because there is almost nothing similar in the languages then.