Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fix CD Skips?

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I found some of my CDs in a box that had been rolling around in the back of my daughter's car. They were pretty scratched up :cry: and skip a lot.

I googled "fix CDs" and got lots of stuff that look like scams. Some of the "fixes" they recommend I'm sure could ruin the surface (emery cloth...errrm, not so sure...).

So what works? If possible I'd like first-hand experiences with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard that you can sometimes fix a scratch by filling it in with a grease pencil, but I've never tried it. I doubt that there's much that can be done to fix it other than replace the CDs.

4. Jun 26, 2009 #3
    Read that
    http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Scratched-CD

Basically I think your best bet is to try to clean it up and then rip it and re-burn

EDIT - The lingo: "rip" means read the data onto a computer and "burn" means create a new CD from the data ;)

5. Jun 26, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

Anything that polishes the surface sufficiently can mitigate or entirely remove scratches, depending on their severity. A CD is a disk of polycarbonate plastic with the pits and grooves which comprise the data track pressed into the upper surface. This surface is then metal plated (usually with aluminum), lacquered and imprinted with the label. What all this means is that you've got nearly two millimeters of hard, clear plastic protecting the delicate data. The bad news is that the label side is very easily damaged because it's just a few thin layers of lacquer and ink. Once that side is scratched, your disc is hosed. It's easy to check this: hold the CD up to a bright light source; if you can see any light through the disc surface, the scratch has penetrated the metallized layer and the CD can no longer be read in that spot. If you see lots of such spots, the disc will probably not play reliably, if at all. The most reliable and effective devices for polishing out scratches employs a radial (that is, from the center out, not along the direction of the track) polishing motion, such as http://www.compuplus.com/i-Memorex-32028007-Optifix-Motorized-CDDVD-Cleaner-and-Scratch-Repair-Kit-1007658~.html [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 26, 2009 #5
    I had the same thing happen with one of my cds. It was in the back of my car and got really scratched up. Some of my rather scratched up CDs my computer can still scan but that didn't work on this one. You can try the computer and maybe burn a new copy if that works.

What I did was find and download a copy. I know we aren't supposed to support anything illegal here but technically downloading a copy of a CD you own isn't necessarily illegal. If the Mentors prefer this not be said here anyway then by all means edit it out or ask me to and I will do it.

7. Jun 27, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The devices they sell at music stores to polish them do work, but they won't remove deep scratches. I'd try one of the recommendations for filling any deep scratches after polishing away the little ones.

8. Jun 27, 2009 #7
    I read somewhere, ages ago, that brasso works better than most of the special cd cleaning solutions. I've used it on some of my own cds, most of them were too scratched up to be saved but some of them did seem to get better.

9. Jun 27, 2009 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the past I used a very fine (soft surface) nail file to polish the surface of a damaged CD and it worked.

10. Jun 27, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's what we've done. We got a kit from somewhere, but I don't remember.

11. Jun 27, 2009 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I use Rain-X. It works much of the time. Clean the CD with a mix of rubbing alcohol and water, dry the disk, then rub on some Rain-X with a soft cloth. Let it sit for a while, then wipe off the excess. Good luck.

A friend of mine swears by spray furniture polish, but the fragrance chemicals would do me in, so I tried Rain-X.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook