President of the US: Fix the Education System

In summary, the President of the United States wants to make it easier for people with a PhD in a specific subject to get a teaching certification, and rewards them with a better salary if they choose to teach in a school where there are shortages of qualified teachers. He also wants to make foreign language a requirement for anyone teaching high school, and wants to give more money to the education department rather than the sports department.
cyrusabdollahi said:
Lol, wow. I posted that a while ago. Talk about old thread.

astronuc rezzed it, not shawn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
I don't know how I'd do it, but as a general thought I think we should require teachers keep up-to-date on the best teaching techniques, which should be a formal branch of psychology imho.

I think it is to at least some extent. They should have learned something of learning in the physical domain, the cognitive domain, affective domain, etc. In the military, we had quite few volumes of text on instructional system development to include how to identify what should be taught, what methods should be used, how to manage the program, etc. I always kind of assumed it was drawn from civilian programs for teacher education or certification or at least some external source (it was certainly on a different level than most military texts - I had to put it into a format that even satellite operators could understand).