How to Calculate Fixed and Variable Cost for Shampoo and Conditioner Bottles?

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small convenience store purchasing shampoo and conditioner bottles. The fixed cost for the shampoo bottles is $100, while the variable cost for the conditioner bottles is $6 per bottle. The discount rate of 12% is mentioned, but its relevance to the problem is unclear. The conversation also touches on the concept of fixed and variable costs and how they can be calculated. Despite some uncertainty, the conclusion is reached that the fixed cost is $100 and the variable cost is $180, with the 12% discount factored in.
jdawg
Hi! I'm having some trouble with this problem!

A small convenience store pays $100 for a constant supply of shampoo bottles. 20 bottles are shipped to the small business. The convenience store then purchases 30 bottles of conditioner for $6 per bottle. What is the fixed and variable cost for the shampoo and conditioner bottles combined? The discount rate is 12%.

I was thinking that the $100 was the fixed cost... but I feel like that isn't right. I'm not really sure where to start on this problem. Usually for these problems I put them into a graph in excel and just use y=mx+b to find the fixed and variable cost, but I'm not sure how to do that with this information. Also, is the discount rate important in this problem or was that thrown in there to confuse me?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are right. The fixed cost is $100 because it is a fixed $100 no matter how many bottles are shipped. The variable cost is the cost that is on a per-bottle basis.

Ok, awesome! So to calculate the variable cost you just multiply the 30 bottles times $6 and then how do you take into account the shampoo bottles? Do you just divide the $100 by 20 to get the per bottle price of shampoo?

The problem seems unclear. It sounds like the $100 would buy as many shampoo bottles as needed. And what is the discount on? I agree that it might just be to confuse. Is there an example that you are supposed to mimic about these questions? I can't help any more. All I can say is that your understanding of fixed and variable seems correct.

Right? Most of the questions in this class have been extremely unclear, its so frustrating. I don't have a sample question to look at unfortunately. Thanks so much for helping though, I feel better knowing someone agrees with my way of solving this!

The cost of the shampoo is a fixed cost - x dollers get y shampoo bottles.
Same is true of the conditioner bottles.
I don't see what variable cost there is here or what discount has to do with it.

Do you think this is just a trick question? Like there is no variable cost and the discount rate is just thrown in there for no reason?

The way the problem is stated: "30 bottles of conditioner for $6 per bottle" makes me think that the conditioner is meant to be a variable cost. Any cost that is a "per bottle" cost is variable with respect to the number of bottles bought. If all costs were really fixed, than the store should order a million bottles for that fixed cost and could sell them for pennies at a profit.

Thanks! I guess I'll just say that the fixed cost is $100 and the variable cost is $180. Hopefully that is right!

Express the variable cost on a per/sale basis. fixed=$100; variable=$6/bottle. My guess is that the 12% discount should be applied to the $6 to get $5.28.

Awesome idea! I'll do that then, I really appreciate all the help!

What is the difference between fixed and variable cost?

Fixed costs are expenses that do not change regardless of the level of production or sales, such as rent and insurance. Variable costs, on the other hand, are expenses that fluctuate with the level of production or sales, such as raw materials and labor.

How do fixed and variable costs affect a company's profitability?

Fixed costs have a larger impact on a company's profitability, as they must be paid regardless of the level of sales. Variable costs, however, can be controlled by adjusting production levels and can therefore have a smaller impact on profitability.

Can fixed and variable costs change over time?

Yes, fixed and variable costs can change over time. Fixed costs may increase due to inflation or market changes, while variable costs can change due to fluctuations in the cost of materials or labor.

How do fixed and variable costs affect pricing decisions?

Fixed costs must be covered by sales, so they are factored into the pricing of a product or service. Variable costs, on the other hand, can be adjusted based on the desired profit margin. This means that the level of variable costs can impact the final price of a product or service.

How can a company reduce its fixed and variable costs?

A company can reduce its fixed costs by negotiating lower rent or insurance rates, or by finding more cost-effective suppliers. Variable costs can be reduced by streamlining production processes and negotiating better deals with suppliers.