1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fixed dimensions?

1. May 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why, using this outline for creating the cylinder, the volume of the cylinder is fixed for an A4 piece of paper (30x21)

2. Relevant equations

I really dont know how to approach this question, i know it has something to do with the radius and the height of the cylinder. but i dont know how to prove it.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2
    The paper has certain dimensions, height = 21, width = 30.

A cylinder has a certain h, with circles of radius r at the base. Thus, if the radius of the circles are r, the width of the paper (30) must equal:

4*r + h = 30

(4 radii from two circles plus the height of the cylinder = width of the paper)

However the height of the paper must be equal to the circumference of one of the circles (2*pi*r) in order to form a cylinder:

2*pi*r = 21

thus r = (21/2*pi) or approximately 3.34 (cm)

giving us the value for h = 30 - 4*(21/2*pi). or approximately 16.63 (cm)

Making a cylinder with bases of diameter 6.68 cm and a height of 16.63 cm. and a volume of 2*pi*r^2*h = 2*3.14159*3.34^2*16.63

= 1165.64 cm^3

Which is the answer to the problem.

=== Warning, thinking outside the box:

However one can argue that one could put the height of the cylinder along the height of the paper, in which case:

4*r + 2*pi*r = 30 and (edit: that is, 4 radii of two circles plus the circumference of the cylinder's base = width of the paper)
    h = 21

Which gives us as solutions:

r = 30/(4+2*pi) = approximately 2.92 cm
    h = 21 cm

And a volume of 2*pi*r^2*h = 1125.03 cm^3

So theoretically there are two solutions to the problem. (but in any case the Volume of the cylinder is FIXED, that is a certain value).

JJ +
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  4. May 22, 2007 #3
    Bonus Question

Bonus Question !

Here is a bonus question that I thought of while looking at your question. It actually has an interesting answer:

5. May 22, 2007 #4
    The maximum volume is:

607.3 cm^3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?