1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fixed point free elements

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What subgroup is generated by the fixed-point-free permutations?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the elements that have no fixed points are the ones whose cycle type adds up to n (i.e. all the numbers in {1,...,n} have to be used). I don't know what to do other than just start computing examples and multiplying out every single combination.

EDIT I think they generate all of Sn. I know this is true up to 5, and whenever we have n odd. (We can generate the transpositions, which in turn generate all of Sn.) For odd n this works by: (1,2)=[(1,2)(3,4,...,n)]^(n-2). I haven't yet found something similar for the case when n is even.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look for other patterns that will let you prove all transpostions are generated. Like for S8, (1,2)(3,4,5)(6,7,8) to the third power. What's a good one for S10? You might have to get a little more creative for S6 but you can certainly do it without multiplying out every single combination.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook