1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fixed Point in Continuous Set

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose f:[a,b] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] [a,b] is continuous. Prove that there is at least one fixed point in [a,b] - that is, x such that f(x) = x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was going to try something with the IVT, but then I realized I wasn't sure what they meant by a fixed point much less how to solve this problem. Any help would be appretiated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    Hi Angelpsymon,

It says what a fixed point is in the problem statement: "x such that f(x) = x." You are absolutely correct in thinking to apply the intermediate value theorem. Hint: since f maps into [a,b], we must have that [tex]f(a)\geq a[/tex] and [tex]f(b)\leq b[/tex].

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As Unco suggested, maybe without spelling it out completely, apply the IVT to f(x)-x.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4
    Apologies, Dick, I certainly didn't mean to do so.

6. Nov 20, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't HAVE to spell it out completely. Hints are enough. I apologize if I spoiled your hint and made it too obvious. I was just saying how to apply the IVT.

7. Nov 22, 2008 #6
    Alright, I think that I got it now. Thanks a lot guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?