Fixed Points and Critical Points in Continuous Scalar Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a continuous scalar function with a critical point at x=0, where the dimension of x_0 depends on the value of n. The function f(x) = x is used as an example, and it is clarified that x=0 is not a critical point since f'(x) is not equal to zero. The importance of correctly differentiating the function is also mentioned.
Benny
Hi, I was thinking about the following and would like some clarification. Suppose that we have a continuous scalar function [itex]f:R^n \to R[/itex] with a critical point at say x_0, where the dimension of x_0 depends on the value of n.

Consider as an example f(x) = x (n = 1). The point x = 0 is a critical point since f'(x) is zero at that point. Since f is continuous then corresponding to x = 0 must be a local minimum, local maximum or saddle correct? (Not exactly sure about it)

My point is that x = 0 lies on a line of fixed points and hence cannot correspond to a maximum or a minimum? Is this true in higher dimensions or does this reasoning hold at all?

Any help would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Hi, I was thinking about the following and would like some clarification. Suppose that we have a continuous scalar function [itex]f:R^n \to R[/itex] with a critical point at say x_0, where the dimension of x_0 depends on the value of n.

Consider as an example f(x) = x (n = 1). The point x = 0 is a critical point since f'(x) is zero at that point.
if f(x) = x, then f'(x) = 1 for all x. so x=0 is not a critical point. f is an increasing function.

Last edited:
As nocturnal said, if f(x)= x then x= 0 is NOT a critical point. Maybe you were thinking of f'(x)= x which would correspond to f(x)= (1/2)x2+ C. That really does have a minimum at x= 0.

Oops, I should watch my differentiation...better hope that doesn't happen during an exam.:biggrin:

1. What are fixed points in a graph?

Fixed points in a graph are points where the value of a function remains unchanged when the input value is changed. In other words, the output value is equal to the input value, resulting in a horizontal line on the graph.

2. How do you find fixed points in a graph?

To find fixed points in a graph, you need to solve for the roots of the function. This means setting the function equal to zero and solving for the input value that results in an output value of zero. This input value is the fixed point.

3. What is the significance of fixed points in a graph?

Fixed points in a graph provide important information about the behavior of a function. They can indicate where the function crosses the x-axis, where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa, and where the function has a maximum or minimum value.

4. Can a graph have multiple fixed points?

Yes, a graph can have multiple fixed points. This means that there can be multiple input values that result in an output value of zero. In some cases, a graph may have no fixed points or an infinite number of fixed points.

5. How are fixed points related to stability in a graph?

Fixed points can provide information about the stability of a function. If the fixed point is attracting, it means that nearby points will approach the fixed point as the function is iterated. If the fixed point is repelling, nearby points will move away from the fixed point as the function is iterated.