What Are Some Alternative Fixed Temperature Baths for Accurate Calibration Data?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cooling baths to achieve precise temperatures at various intervals, with a specific focus on finding safe and effective options for higher temperature ranges. The use of Gallium as a potential material for a fixed temperature bath is suggested, and alternative options such as organic solids are also mentioned. The purpose of this is to obtain calibration data for thermistors with high accuracy requirements. The conversation also provides additional resources for finding suitable melting point standards.
Physt
I'm familiar with cooling baths to attain exact temperatures at intervals starting around 13 C and going down from there, but does anyone know of a list of baths that are reasonably safe and effective to attain exact temperatures in a higher range? So far my best idea would be to use liquid and solid parts of Gallium roughly centered around it's 29.7646 C melting point (each part starting ~3-4 degrees off that center point) since it has a heat of fusion of 5.59 kJ·mol−1 it should provide for an accurate fixed temperature bath for a decent amount of time. Does anyone know of some others (with readily obtained materials)? I'd prefer to avoid things like Sodium, Phosphorus and Potassium since they are so reactive.

The purpose of this would be to get calibration data on some individual off the shelf thermistors in the -20 - 105 C range and hit accuracies below 0.1 C (preferably down to the 0.01 C range) as opposed to the typical off the shelf tolerances of 1%.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Depends on the expense you are allowed and the accuracy required. I made a half-dozen custom temperature compensating diodes, for nuclear reactor neutron power indication, that my metrologists calibrated in a water bath.

Physt said:
I'm familiar with cooling baths to attain exact temperatures at intervals starting around 13 C and going down from there, but does anyone know of a list of baths that are reasonably safe and effective to attain exact temperatures in a higher range? So far my best idea would be to use liquid and solid parts of Gallium roughly centered around it's 29.7646 C melting point (each part starting ~3-4 degrees off that center point) since it has a heat of fusion of 5.59 kJ·mol−1 it should provide for an accurate fixed temperature bath for a decent amount of time. Does anyone know of some others (with readily obtained materials)? I'd prefer to avoid things like Sodium, Phosphorus and Potassium since they are so reactive.

The purpose of this would be to get calibration data on some individual off the shelf thermistors in the -20 - 105 C range and hit accuracies below 0.1 C (preferably down to the 0.01 C range) as opposed to the typical off the shelf tolerances of 1%.

Organic solids might have melting points useful to you. The CRC handbook will list melting points of organic solids. Purity is always an issue, with these though. You are in the range where there are a lot of standards.

e.g. http://www.thinksrs.com/downloads/PDFs/ApplicationNotes/MP_Protocols.pdf
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/analytical-chromatography/analytical-products.html?TablePage=9639990
http://www.al-labor.at/cms/images/stories/docs/Melting%20Point%20%20Standards.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a fixed temperature bath?

A fixed temperature bath is a piece of laboratory equipment used to maintain a constant and precise temperature for experiments or other scientific processes. It typically consists of a container filled with a temperature-controlled liquid, such as water or oil, and a heating or cooling element to maintain the desired temperature.

2. What types of experiments or processes require a fixed temperature bath?

Fixed temperature baths are commonly used in experiments or processes that require a specific and consistent temperature, such as chemical reactions, biological assays, or material testing. They are also useful for maintaining a constant temperature for samples or equipment that are sensitive to temperature changes.

3. How do I use a fixed temperature bath?

To use a fixed temperature bath, you first need to fill it with the appropriate liquid, such as water or oil, and set the desired temperature using the controls. Once the bath has reached the desired temperature, you can place your samples or equipment in the bath to maintain a constant temperature throughout the duration of your experiment or process.

4. What are the benefits of using a fixed temperature bath?

The main benefit of using a fixed temperature bath is that it allows for precise control of temperature, which is essential for many scientific experiments and processes. It also saves time and eliminates the need for constant temperature monitoring, as the bath will maintain the set temperature throughout the duration of your experiment.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a fixed temperature bath?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when using a fixed temperature bath. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance. Be careful when handling hot liquids and use protective equipment, such as gloves and eye protection. It is also essential to regularly check the bath for any leaks or malfunctions and to keep it away from any flammable materials.