How Do You Solve the Inequality |x-6| > |x^2-5x+9|?

• Thread starter Kartik.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, to solve the inequality |x-6| > |x^2 - 5x + 9|, you need to consider the possible signs for x-6 and x^2 - 5x + 9 and solve for x in each case. The values of x that satisfy the inequality are where both expressions are positive, where x-6 is positive and x^2- 5x+ 9 is negative, where x-6 is negative and x^2- 5x+ 9 is positive, and where both expressions are negative.
Kartik.
mod(x-6) > mod(x^2 - 5x + 9)

Can anyone tell me about domain fixtures with mods using the above inequation?

A real beginner, so have mercy, be elementry .:D

Physics news on Phys.org
Kartik. said:
mod(x-6) > mod(x^2 - 5x + 9)

Can anyone tell me about domain fixtures with mods using the above inequation?

A real beginner, so have mercy, be elementry .:D

The word "mods" can have different meanings in Maths. I think you're using it in the sense of "modulus", or absolute value here.

So just to be clear, are you asking how to solve this inequality?

[tex]|x-6| > |x^2 - 5x + 9|[/tex]

You should start by making a careful sketch of both curves. Remember to consider the discriminant of the quadratic expression, its minimum point and the fact that [itex]|x-6|[/itex] is actually represented by two lines at right angles to each other.

I am going to assume you are using "mod" to mean "absolute value" (unfortunately "mod" has many different meanings in different circumstances.)

To find values of x for which [itex]|x- 6|> |x^2- 5x+ 9|[/itex] consider the possible signs for the quantities inside the absolute values. Solve x- 6> 0 and x^2- 5x+ 9> 0 to determine where those are positive or negative.

Where x- 6 and [itex]x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex] are both positive, the absolute values can be taken off to give [itex]x- 6> x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex] or [itex]0> x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex]. Solve that inequality and take the values of x that satisfy it as well as [itex]x- 6> 0[/itex] and [itex]x^2- 5x+ 9> 0[/itex].

Where x- 6 is positive and [itex]x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex] is negative, the absolute values can be taken off to give [itex]x- 6> -(x^2- 6x+ 9)[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2- 5x+ 3> 0[/itex].

Where x- 6 is negative and [itex]x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex] is positive, the absolute values can be taken off to give [itex]-(x- 6)> x^2- 6x+ 9[/itex] which is the same as [itex]0>x^2- 5x+ 3> 0[/itex].

Where both x- 6 and [itex]x^2- 5x+ 9[/itex] are negative, the absolute values can be taken off to give [itex]-(x- 6)> -(x^2- 6x+ 9)[/itex] which is the same as [itex]x^2- 7x+ 15> 0[/itex].

1. What are mods and how do they work?

Mods, short for modifications, are user-created additions or changes to a video game or software. They can add new features, fix bugs, or improve graphics. Mods work by altering the game's code or files to make the desired changes.

2. Can mods fix broken or glitchy domains?

Yes, mods can fix broken or glitchy domains by addressing the underlying issues in the game's code or files. Modders often use their knowledge of programming and game design to identify and fix these issues.

3. Are mods safe to use?

It depends on the source and type of mod. Mods from reputable sources and created by experienced modders are generally safe to use. However, some mods may contain viruses or cause compatibility issues, so it's important to research and use caution when downloading and installing mods.

4. How do I install mods to fix a domain?

The process of installing mods varies depending on the game and the type of mod. Most mods come with installation instructions that should be followed carefully. In general, mods are installed by copying the mod files into the game's directory or using a mod manager program.

5. Can I create my own mods to fix domains?

Yes, anyone with the necessary skills and knowledge can create mods to fix domains. There are many resources available online for learning how to mod different games. However, it's important to respect the game's terms of use and not distribute any mods that may violate copyright or intellectual property rights.