Can Flamm's Paraboloid be described by Cartesian equations?

• I
  • Thread starter Victor Escudero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paraboloid
In summary, the conversation discussed the search for equations in Cartesian coordinates that describe the three-dimensional shape of Flamm's paraboloid and how it relates to the mass and density of a spherical object. It was suggested to work in cylindrical polars and choose a function for z(r) so that the distance-squared in the surface is equal to the distance-squared in the Schwarzschild metric. This can be achieved through some algebra and integration.
Victor Escudero
I would like to know if there exist any equations in Cartesian coordinates that describe the shape in three dimensions of Flamm´s paraboloid and if you can write them to me because I have searched for them but I can’t find any specific equations of what I want. I suppose that this shape would depend to the mass and the density (or radius) of the spherical object that produces the deformation of space.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you work in cylindrical polars and identify the ##r## and ##\phi## coordinates with the Schwarzschild ##r## and ##\phi## coordinates then circles around the origin are the right size automatically. That leaves you to pick a function ##z (r)## so that the distance-squared in the surface associated with a small change in ##r## (Pythagoras) is the same as the distance-squared in the Schwarzschild metric associated with a small change in ##r## (read from the metric). A little algebra should get you an expression for ##dz/dr## which should integrate easily enough.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are Flamm's paraboloid equations?

Flamm's paraboloid equations are a set of mathematical equations first introduced by the Austrian physicist Ludwig Flamm in 1916. They describe the shape of a rotating fluid surface in a gravitational field, such as the surface of a spinning cup of coffee or a planet.

2. How are Flamm's paraboloid equations derived?

Flamm's paraboloid equations are derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid. They take into account the effects of gravity, rotation, and surface tension to determine the shape of the fluid surface.

3. What are the applications of Flamm's paraboloid equations?

Flamm's paraboloid equations have applications in various fields, such as meteorology, geophysics, and fluid mechanics. They can be used to study the behavior of fluids in rotating systems, such as hurricanes and ocean currents.

4. Are Flamm's paraboloid equations limited to fluids on Earth?

No, Flamm's paraboloid equations can be applied to any rotating fluid system, regardless of the location. They have been used to study the behavior of fluids on other planets and even in space.

5. Can Flamm's paraboloid equations be solved analytically?

Unfortunately, Flamm's paraboloid equations cannot be solved analytically and require numerical methods for solutions. However, simplified versions of the equations can be solved analytically in certain cases.