Determining Flange Rating for a 316 SS Pipe

• Thread starter SherlockOhms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Rating
In summary, the appropriate flange rating for a 316 stainless steel pipe carrying saturated steam at a temperature of 180°C would be 150LB according to the ASME code. This can be determined by finding the pressure of the steam using steam tables and converting both the temperature and pressure to the correct units before checking the ASME table.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

What is the appropriate flange rating for a 316 stainless steel pipe carrying saturated
steam at a temperature of 180°C

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure to be honest.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could somebody give me the general approach to determining the flange rating of a required flange? I'm fairly lost with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what code? ASME? One of them furrin' outfits?

SteamKing said:
Well, what code? ASME? One of them furrin' outfits?

Yup, ASME. I think I have a general idea now. Would I find the pressure that the steam is at using the steam tables, and then convert both the temp. and pressure to the correct units before checking the ASME table? I think the rating works out to be 150LB. Or, am I wrong?

1. What is a flange rating and why is it important for a 316 SS pipe?

A flange rating is a measure of the pressure that a flange can withstand without leaking. It is important for a 316 SS pipe because it ensures that the pipe can safely handle the pressure of the fluid or gas it is carrying without any risk of leakage or failure.

2. How is the flange rating determined for a 316 SS pipe?

The flange rating for a 316 SS pipe is determined by considering the maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) of the pipe, the temperature of the fluid or gas being transported, and the type of flange being used. These factors are used to calculate the appropriate flange rating needed for the pipe.

3. What is the maximum allowable working pressure for a 316 SS pipe?

The maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) for a 316 SS pipe is determined by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and is based on the pipe's material, size, and wall thickness. For example, a 2-inch 316 SS pipe with a schedule 40 thickness has a MAWP of 2,000 psi.

4. What are the different types of flanges used for a 316 SS pipe?

There are several types of flanges that can be used for a 316 SS pipe, including slip-on, weld neck, socket weld, threaded, and blind flanges. Each type has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific requirements and operating conditions of the pipe.

5. Can a flange rating be changed for a 316 SS pipe?

No, the flange rating for a 316 SS pipe cannot be changed once it has been determined. Any changes to the pipe's pressure or temperature requirements would require a re-evaluation of the flange rating to ensure the pipe can safely handle the new conditions.