Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flash freezing of polymer

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    Hello, I am working on a science fair project with my son. His project is about the mobility of polymer chains depending on temperature and pressure. As part of his project we want to flash freeze a piece of plastic to show how brittle it becomes. We bought instamorph, which is polycaprolactone. It has a glass transition temperature of -60 celcius. Next, I bought some dry ice, put it in a plastic bottle and poured 99 percent isopropyl alcohol into it to create a cooling bath. This cooling bath should be about -77 celcius right? Lower than the glass transition temperature. So then I dipped the piece of plastic into the bath, held it there for about 30 seconds and pulled it out. I tried to smash it to test the brittleness but it didnt break. It felt the same, but just cold. Why is that? And how can I make it brittle?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Glass transition" does not mean that a material becomes "brittle."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook