1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flash vaporization balance - ODEs, deviation variables, linearization

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the attached figure,

a) Develop an ordinary differential equation that describes the dynamic height h(t) in the flash tank in terms of [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex], [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex],[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex], and A.

b) Given the fact that the process is isenthalpic, eliminate [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex] from the equation in part (a).

c) Develop a nonlinear ordinary differential equation assuming [itex]\dot{m}_{l}=C_{v}\sqrt{h(t)}[/itex]. Simplify as much as possible.

If the operating limit, [itex]\Delta[/itex], is 10 cm. What is the maximal change in [itex]\dot{m}_i[/itex], so steady state is reached before the operating limit is reached?

d) Determine the above using steady state conditions, deviation variables, and linearization.
    Values are given for the following variables: [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_i, T_{in}, P_{in}, T_{out}, P_{out}, 1-(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l), A, \rho_l, C_v [/itex]

e) Solve the nonlinear DE, and compare with (d)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{acc}[/itex]

[itex]m= \rho V = \rho Ah(t)[/itex]

For isenthalpic processes, mass fraction vaporized = [itex]Y= (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Were told to include the effect of vapor mass to the height of the vessel liquid, so the equation for a should be

[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]=[itex]\rho[/itex][itex]_{l}Ah(t)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\rho_l A}([/itex] [itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{l}[/itex]-[itex]\dot{m}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex])

For (b), given specific enthalpies, then [itex]\dot{m}_v=Y\dot{m}_i = Y= \dot{m}_i (H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex].

My issues start at (c). I'm able to find the following equation

[itex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}+C_v \sqrt{h(t)}/\rho _l A = [m_i(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)]/ \rho _l A[/itex]

The only thing I see that I can simplify is saying that the mass fraction of liquid left unvaporized is [itex]1-(H_i-H_l)/(H_v-H_l)[/itex]. Otherwise, I don't see any way of reducing it further. Also, there are no temperature or pressure dependencies, and I am given values for these at steady state to use for parts (d) and (e). I don't even know how to apply the deviation variables without these dependencies.
    If anybody can offer some input, I'd be very grateful.

Attached Files:

• FVV.jpg
      FVV.jpg
      File size:
      20.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?