Flat Feet and Military Service: A Barrier to Joining the Ranks?

In summary, the military may refuse individuals with flat feet due to the potential for higher risk of injury and discomfort during physical activities such as running, marching, and carrying heavy equipment. Flat feet can also lead to knee, hip, and back problems. However, the definition of flat feet may vary and some individuals may experience no pain or discomfort despite having flatter arches. Ultimately, it is a matter of physical fitness and the ability to withstand the demands of military training and combat situations.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So why exactly does the military refuse you if you have flat feet? My friend is trying to join the US Marines but they refused him because he has flat feet. Does this make you unable to do something required of a soldier or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm--don't flat feet enable people to run faster? I can outrun almost anybody! (in SPEED, not in DISTANCE--I'm a sprinter, not a long-distance runner, not mentally up for it)...so what's wrong with flat feet? It's nice to have flat feet!

*However...how do YOU define "flat feet" ? To me, this just means that the foot "arch" is flatter :smile:...but what exactly do you mean by "flat feet"?

-I looked up @ http://columbia.thefreedictionary.com/flat+foot , but hey, I have flat feet-->meaning almost the "sole resting on the ground" aspect. By NO means does it rest "completely" on the ground-->but it goes pretty low. And no...I don't get any pain; what's all that about?

Last edited:
Refusing flat feet probably is related to the 10,000 miles you will walk in your carreer as a US marine.

Hey, I walk (not run!) long distances; well, depends on how do define "long", but anyway this means around 10-11 miles for me (not running! just walking). I experience no pain/discomfort whatsoever (except when my socks get all sweaty, it feels wet), and I like long walks (what do flat feet have to with it?):smile:

*One more thing: I read http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Flat+feet and it seems to me that to actually have "flat feet", the foot arch must actually "collapse and come in contact with the ground"! Hmm...this never happens to me--but now that I measured it (barefoot), the arch of the foot stays about 1 mm to 2mm above ground. But I have no discomfort!
*I measured like this: the outermost side of the arch (closest to my other foot) stays about a centimeter above the ground. The actual inside area/territory of my sole stays 1-2mm above ground, but strangely I never feel it touch! So I'm maybe almost flat-footed, but not completely as by the medical definition. But still, I walk 10-11 mi w/o discomfort/pain (except from sweaty socks) and sprint with ease (outrun anybody! almost...)

*Ooh--by the way: this may explain!: http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/9883.html :approve:

Last edited:
The probability of stepping on a land mine is greater, perchance?

maybe soldiers with flat foot are too noisy ! on the other hand when in swamps they will not go down as quickly as regular meat fodder.

Maybe it means your foot is bulletproof? :D

Maybe people with flat feet is not human but aliens?

darkar said:
Maybe people with flat feet is not human but aliens?
Or perhaps they are degenerates who will lure young, wholesome males into rampant debauchery to the point where they can't any longer get their guns ready in a pitched battle-situation?

Last edited:
At a guess 'normal' feet probably have more 'spring' in them compared to 'flat-feet'. Combine that with the need to carry 40lbs+ and a weapon and you'll probably find that 'flat-feet' doesn't absorb the extra stress.

Daminc said:
At a guess 'normal' feet probably have more 'spring' in them compared to 'flat-feet'. Combine that with the need to carry 40lbs+ and a weapon and you'll probably find that 'flat-feet' doesn't absorb the extra stress.
A theory of some worth at last; I'm not sure if either of my own theories hold up against further scrutiny.. :frown:

Last edited:
Flat feet cause an abnormally large amount of knee injuries.

The area of contact is larger, shouldn't it be less injury? since the pressure is less.

Daminc said:

Yes, this is more the reasoning. The arch in your foot normally acts as a spring or shock absorber so the force of impact of every step isn't transferred up your whole leg. With flat feet, you're more likely to get stress fractures, or because the position of your foot and ankle are different than someone with a normal arch, you're more likely to wind up with knee and hip and back problems too. You may not notice it walking around leisurely or while young, but put a lot of weight on your back and get sent on a forced march, it's going to start wearing you down a lot faster. In a real combat setting, even a normal, healthy body takes a beating, so if you start out with something against you, it's going to be even worse for you.

People with flat feet are more prone to, lower back and leg pain. There is also a increase of stress fractures.

but put a lot of weight on your back and get sent on a forced march, it's going to start wearing you down a lot faster.
I can remember one particular exercise that involved traveling over the moors and digging a trench, attacking the opposition, filling in the trench, moving location, digging a trench, getting attacked, filling in the trench and then tabing (forced marching) about 12-15 miles back to camp.

Everything was ok until we filled the last trench in when I pulled an insignificant muscle in my back which I didn't notice until about the third of the way through the tab. On the tab the main weapon is rotated between the group (it weights a lot more) and everytime it came my way the really, really minor injury became lots and lots of pain.

This is quite common place thoughout training so if a person had even the slightest physical defect they would be at a serious disadvantage and be in for a whole lot of pain.

Daminc said:
On the tab the main weapon is rotated between the group (it weights a lot more) and everytime it came my way the really, really minor injury became lots and lots of pain.

This is quite common place thoughout training so if a person had even the slightest physical defect they would be at a serious disadvantage and be in for a whole lot of pain.
Tru dat! Heavy weapons platoons have it the worst. Mortar baseplates and tubes, Ma Deuce and her legs. Being a "ground pounder" isn't all puppy dogs and butterflies. But when you get them all set up and are given the command to fire it kinda makes up for it. :biggrin:

It made my day when we had to do our road marches and I had my whimpy little .38. The ones carrying a M60 were not so fun.

Flat feet? Tell your friend to get a http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures/tools/foot-pump.jpg [Broken].

Ho ho ho!

Last edited by a moderator:
{insert rim shot here}

1. What is a flat foot?

A flat foot is a condition where the arch of the foot is collapsed or very low, causing the entire sole of the foot to make contact with the ground.

2. Can someone with flat feet join the military?

Yes, individuals with flat feet are usually able to join the military. However, it ultimately depends on the severity of the condition and if it affects a person's ability to perform military duties.

3. Are there any restrictions for individuals with flat feet in the military?

Some branches of the military may have certain restrictions for individuals with flat feet, such as limiting certain types of physical activities or requiring special footwear. It is best to consult with a recruiter for specific information.

4. Can flat feet be treated or corrected?

In some cases, flat feet can be treated with exercises, orthotic inserts, or physical therapy. However, it is not always possible to fully correct flat feet. Consult with a doctor for personalized treatment options.

5. What are some potential challenges for individuals with flat feet in the military?

Some potential challenges for individuals with flat feet in the military may include discomfort or pain during physical activities, increased risk of injury, and difficulty with certain tasks that require good balance or stability.