1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Flat plate solar collector

1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We wish to size a flat plate collector to provide water for one hot shower per hour. We have determined that a shower uses 80 liters of 40°C water that has been heated from a 15°C supply line. The receiver temperature must be greater than the desired water temperature of 40°C and below 90°C to prevent the risk of pressure build up in the collector due to boiling. Determine the required area (Aa in m2) needed for the collector for the following receiver temperatures Tr=50°C, Tr=60°C, Tr=70°C and Tr=80°C. What conclusions can you draw from your calculations?

Assume the following values:

Gtn=400 W/m2 Total solar radiation on a surface normal to the sun’s beam
    =30° Average angle of incidence between the normal to the collector and the beam
    of the sun
    =0.97 Receiver absorptivity
    =0.87 Glass transmissivity
    UL=5 W/m2-K Overall loss coefficient including conduction, radiation and convection losses
    Ta=20°C Temperature of the air

2. Relevant equations
    I have too many equations and don't know what to do with them.
    Qdotu=Qdotin-Qdotloss

Q=ArUL(Tr-Ta)

eta = Qdotu/(AaGt)
    but I don't think Gt is anything.

and many more, but these seemed the most relevant

3. The attempt at a solution

mdot = 80kg/3600s

Qdotu=mdotcp(Tout-Tin)

=2330 W

Qdotu is in just about every equation, but in order to find the area of the plate, we need to know eta, I believe.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted