Is it possible to flatten the metric on a sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flat and curved spaces in geometry, specifically in the context of general relativity. The conversation also discusses the criteria for determining whether a space is flat or curved, such as the "flat" form of the metric. However, using this form of the metric, it is shown that the surface of a sphere is not actually flat, despite having a "flat" metric. The conversation also delves into the concept of curvature and how it is defined using the Riemann curvature tensor.
marcgrr
Hi!

I'm trying to learn some geometry for general relativity, and I am having a bit of trouble understanding how to tell flat and curved spaces apart. Specifically, I heard that a space is flat if you can "flatten" the metric by finding a coordinate system where [tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + ...[/tex]. Unfortunately, if this is true, then I can show that the surface of a sphere is flat.

Let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the latitude and [tex]\phi[/tex] be the longitude on a unit sphere. Then the metric is

[tex]ds^2 = d\theta^2 + \sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2[/tex]

Now let coordinates x and y be

[tex]x = \theta[/tex]
[tex]y = \phi \sin(\theta)[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]d\theta = dx[/tex]
[tex]d\phi = \frac{dy}{\sin(\theta)}[/tex]

Plugging into the metric,

[tex]ds^2 = d\theta^2 + \sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{\sin^2(\theta)} = dx^2 + dy^2[/tex]

This is in the "flat" form.

I'm sure I've done something wrong. Maybe putting the metric in this form does not actually imply that the space is flat, or maybe I did something bad with the coordinate change?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the unit sphere in two dimensions isn't curved, so you might be right.

Curvature in 2d is a tricky concept. For example, a cone is not curved except at the "tip", but most smooth objects in 2d are intrinsically flat. They just look curved to us, when embedded in 3d space.

marcgrr said:

[tex]x = \theta[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]d\theta = dx[/tex]
You differentiated incorrectly.

[tex]dy = \phi \, d\!\sin(\theta) + \sin(\theta) \, d\phi[/tex]

or alternatively,

[tex]d\phi = d\left( \frac{y}{\sin(\theta)} \right) = \frac{ \sin(\theta)\, dy - y\, d\!\sin(\theta) }{(\sin\theta)^2}[/tex]

(Of course, [itex]d\!\sin(\theta) = \cos(\theta) \, d\theta[/itex])

CompuChip said:
Well, the unit sphere in two dimensions isn't curved, so you might be right.
I'm under the impression that there aren't any flat metrics on the sphere. (Of course, all metrics on the circle are flat)

Hurkyl said:
I'm under the impression that there aren't any flat metrics on the sphere. (Of course, all metrics on the circle are flat)

Good point. Forget what I said? :blush:

Basically, how I would define flat manifolds is to show that the Riemanntensor is 0. This means that if I would transport vectors on the manifold along arbitrary loops, then the orientation of the vector would stay the same. This is true for the cirkel [itex]S^{1}[/itex]. But also for the cylinder or the doughnut; try it yourself. After this trying you could set up a coordinate system for these manifolds, labourously calculate the connection coeficients etc and construct the Riemann-tensor. Because it's a tensor (a multilinear mapping from tangent spaces and cotangent spaces to the real line), if it vanishes in one coordinate system, it will vanish in every coordinate system.

Hope this helps :)

Hurkyl said:
Nor on any compact surface in R^3.

haushofer said:
Basically, how I would define flat manifolds is to show that the Riemanntensor is 0. This means that if I would transport vectors on the manifold along arbitrary loops, then the orientation of the vector would stay the same. This is true for the cirkel [itex]S^{1}[/itex]. But also for the cylinder or the doughnut; try it yourself. After this trying you could set up a coordinate system for these manifolds, labourously calculate the connection coeficients etc and construct the Riemann-tensor. Because it's a tensor (a multilinear mapping from tangent spaces and cotangent spaces to the real line), if it vanishes in one coordinate system, it will vanish in every coordinate system.

Hope this helps :)

Just because the Riemann curvature tensor is identically zero does not mean that parallel transport of arbitrary vectors around arbitrary loops bring the vector back to itself. What about parallel translation on the flat Klein bottle? In three dimensions there is a manifold with zero Riemann tensor in which no vector transports back to itself (I think).

In fact the only manifolds with zero Riemann tensor where all vectors transport around all loops back to themselves are flat tori, cylinders, and Euclidean space.

marcgrr said:
Hi!

I'm trying to learn some geometry for general relativity, and I am having a bit of trouble understanding how to tell flat and curved spaces apart. Specifically, I heard that a space is flat if you can "flatten" the metric by finding a coordinate system where [tex]ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + ...[/tex]. Unfortunately, if this is true, then I can show that the surface of a sphere is flat.

Let [tex]\theta[/tex] be the latitude and [tex]\phi[/tex] be the longitude on a unit sphere. Then the metric is

[tex]ds^2 = d\theta^2 + \sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2[/tex]

[tex]x = \theta[/tex]

Then we get

[tex]d\theta = dx[/tex]
No. You didn't differentiate the "[itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]" which you have to do. [itex]\theta[/itex] is not a constant! [itex]dy= d\phi sin(\theta)+ \phi cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex]. Now you can say that [itex]d\theta= dx[/itex] but you still have that sine and cosine.

[tex]d\phi= \frac{dy- \phi cos(\theta) dx}{sin(\theta)}[/tex]
Now, [itex]cos(\theta)= cos(x)[/itex], [itex]sin(\theta)= sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\phi= y/(sin(\theta)= y/sin(x)[/itex] so
[tex]d\phi= \frac{dy- y cot(x) dx}{sin(x)}[/itex]

Plugging into the metric,

[tex]ds^2 = d\theta^2 + \sin^2(\theta)d\phi^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\frac{\sin^2(\theta)}{\sin^2(\theta)} = dx^2 + dy^2[/tex]

This is in the "flat" form.
[tex]ds^2= dx^2+ x^2\frac{(dy- y cot(x) dx)^2}{sin^2(x)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{x^2(1+ y^2cot^2(x))}{sin^2(x)}dx^2- \frac{2x^2ycot(x)}{sin^2(x)}dxdy+ \fra{x^2}{sin^2(x)}dy^2[/tex]
far from "flat".

I'm sure I've done something wrong. Maybe putting the metric in this form does not actually imply that the space is flat, or maybe I did something bad with the coordinate change?

Thanks

1. What is a flattening metric tensor?

A flattening metric tensor is a mathematical concept used in the field of differential geometry to describe the curvature of a surface. It is a symmetric, second-order tensor that measures the rate of change of a surface in different directions.

2. How is a flattening metric tensor calculated?

A flattening metric tensor is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of the surface's metric coefficients, which describe the lengths of infinitesimal line elements on the surface. This process involves taking the square root of the determinant of the metric tensor to obtain the surface's curvature.

3. What does the flattening metric tensor tell us about a surface?

The flattening metric tensor provides information about the curvature of a surface. Specifically, it tells us about the rate of change of the surface in different directions, allowing us to calculate important geometric properties such as the Gaussian curvature and Mean curvature.

4. How is the flattening metric tensor used in physics?

The flattening metric tensor is used extensively in physics, particularly in the field of general relativity. It is a fundamental tool for describing the curvature of spacetime and is essential for understanding the behavior of massive objects and the effects of gravity.

5. Can the flattening metric tensor be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the flattening metric tensor has applications in various fields of science, including computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics. It is also used in engineering for analyzing the shape and stability of structures and in geology for mapping the curvature of Earth's surface.