Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flea zappers?

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone tried one of these flea zapper combs?
    http://www.amazon.com/Flea-Zapper-Comb/dp/B0007XE4JS
    [​IMG]
    I thought it was a neat idea, but was skeptical that it would work.

"Product Description
    Flea Zapper Comb! It "Zaps" fleas on contact by emitting a safe electric charge that is harmless to you and your pet."

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It would be nice if they did.

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    Even dogs are photoshopped these days!

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Waste of money! You can use that bug zapper you have hanging on your porch for the same job.:biggrin: I'm sure your pet wouldn't mind being rubbed with a powered up bug zapper!

6. Aug 7, 2007 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does it zap the fleas, but not the dog? I suppose if the electrodes are recessed and can't ever touch the skin, it would protect the dog. But fleas live very close to the skin, so they might never get close enough to the electrodes to experience the joy of being fried.

And then there's the issue that your dog will likely smell like burned fleas for days afterwards. What's worse, that or wet dog?

- Warren

7. Aug 7, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I prefer a bow-an-arrow, but then... I'm not terribly fond of dogs.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #7
    Its the same product they use on humans for head lice. It does work well, but you half to use it everyday.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmmm... I need to test it out on something before I comb my cat with it.

Hey, Smurf, come here for a second...

10. Aug 7, 2007 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess it just takes a super small amount of electricity to electrocute a flea, not enough to cause pain to a person or pet? It seems like those bug zappers that hang out side have quite a bit of juice, though.

11. Aug 7, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it helps at all, I'm guessing it's mostly because it's a fine-toothed comb that combs out the fleas and flea eggs. But, miss just a few, and they'll be back. Certainly, if you have a badly infested pet, brushing and combing along with a bath is a good idea to help get the adults off quickly, followed up by one of those topical flea treatments that might take a few days to work (bathe the pet before applying the treatment, otherwise you'll wash it all back off).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?