Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fleetwood Mac in Concert

1. Oct 22, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hey gang

for all my fellow oldies out there and some of those younger upstarts that recognise quality music :wink:

It was at the Fleetwood Mac concert last nite at the Allphones arena Sydney, Oz. These guys have been in the top 5 of my fav musicians since the mid '70's
    Their quality has not diminished with the passing of the years and Lindsey Buckingham's fingers still work wonders on those guitar strings :smile:

cheers
    Dave

DSCF4042sm.jpg

DSCF4044sm.jpg

DSCF4046sm.jpg

DSCF4051sm.jpg

DSCF4084sm.jpg

DSCF4090sm.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I saw a documentary about Fleetwood Mac a few weeks ago. Toward the end of it, Christine McVie decided to hang it up, so I'm glad she returned to the band in the concert you attended. They certainly put out some great tunes in the mid-70s, on the Fleetwood Mac and Rumours albums.

BTW, the first time I heard "Station Man" on the Kiln House album, it really grabbed me. I wasn't a big fan in the era that Bob Welch was part of the band, but when Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined it, I really liked their stuff.

4. Oct 22, 2015 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Oldies", huh? Pshaw ! I"m a 50's guy and these are newcomers to the scene :smile: They ARE very good, though.

5. Oct 22, 2015 #4
    I hope they played Gold Dust Woman!
    I went to Mick Fleetwood's restaurant in Maui recently. Apparently he drops in randomly, sometimes with Steven Tyler, and mingles with everyone and jams.

6. Oct 22, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup, agree
    I hadn't even heard of Fleetwood Mac prior to the 1974 joining of Lindsey and Stevie and the Rumours album that followed. There was something about the style of the music on that album that just grabbed me and never let go ....

My wife and I saw them last in concert in Sydney in 2004 from memory, with no Christine. It just wasn't the same
    hearing her do Songbird again was almost the hilite and the treat many in the audience would have been waiting for.

Lindsey's Big Love guitar solo is amazing and always bring up a lot of emotion. That piece alone is why I class him as
    one of the top 3 guitarists in the music world.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  7. Oct 22, 2015 #6
    Somewhat more 'gothic' looking than they used to be though, but so is everyone over 50. :wink:

8. Oct 22, 2015 #7
    I little-known Mac tune from 2003. Isn't that nice?

9. Oct 22, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And now they are practically in their mid-70's. :wink:

10. Oct 22, 2015 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had to do a little googling

Stevie = 67
    Lindsey = 66
    Christine = 72
    John = 69
    Mick = 68

11. Oct 23, 2015 #10
    70's lifestyle adds a few years.

12. Oct 23, 2015 #11

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

indeed it does !!!

13. Oct 23, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Youngsters.

14. Oct 23, 2015 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or a well-known Dylan tune from 1965!

15. Oct 23, 2015 #14
    Id have considered seeing them in LA if the tickets werent like $200...

Theres been too much great music made since the 70's to pay that much to see anyone. In fact, the 70's was probably one of the worst periods in American history for music.

16. Oct 23, 2015 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:oldgrumpy: You do know what music is; right?

IMO one should learn to appreciate music from all generations and cultures.

17. Oct 23, 2015 #16
    Well that includes people who grew up in the 70's. What bands/songwriters do you listen to who've only come out in the last 20 years? The 70's was the decade that produced bands like Journey, Kiss, Rush, and spawns terrible terrible genres like disco and hair metal. So much garbage came out of the period between the mid 70's and mid 80's. Were there great bands during that time too? Yes, absolutely, but the faster, more aggressive styles of music that flourished throughout the mid 80's and into the 90's like punk rock and the dozens of genres of metal were a direct response to how lame the music industry had become.

Fleetwood Mac is a good band. But the 70's (after all the steam from the 60's had run out) sucked.

18. Oct 23, 2015 #17

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

to you ? seriously ?
    I'm am ol fart, that must make you an ancient ol fart hahaha :wink::wink::-p

19. Oct 23, 2015 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am an indeterminate seventy-eleven years old, have been for several years and, like Jack Benny at 39, plan to stay that age.

20. Oct 23, 2015 #19

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

uh huh
    for me personally, the 50's 60's and 70's were the best 3 decades for music
    ( note tho, I do enjoy a bit of classical)

D

21. Oct 23, 2015 #20

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wow ... my mom and dad are 85 and 86 respectively and if I read you right you are up in that general region
    gives me a whole new respect for you :smile:

D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook