Applying Flemings Left Hand Rule for DC and AC Motors - Difficulty Solved?

• Thread starter micro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, the left hand rule is used to determine the direction of motion when the current is flowing in a particular direction, while the right hand rule is used to determine the direction of the induced current.
micro
I m finding Difficulty in applyng flemings left hand rule to
DC otor and AC Motor.Dats y i never like Applied Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
so what is your question?

Well I think when motion is produced by a current in a conduct, we use Flemings Left Hand rule to predict the direction of motion. Whereas, when motion is producing current we use FLEMINGS RIGHT HAND RULE. It’s same as Flemings Left Hand rule but this time you do it with your right hand to predict the direction of induced emf or current. In this case the thumb will show the direction of motion, forefinger will show the direction of magnetic field and the middle finger will show the direction of the induced emf or current.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the left hand or the right hand rule give any thing more useful then the grip rule. And so I ignore the left and right rule and only use the grip as it apply for both.

Step to use the grip rule instead the right of left:

1. Determine the direction of the current and use the grip rule to show the magnetic field.

2. See if the magnetic field from the current intersenct with the permanent magnet. Determine the motion caused.

do it the other way round if motion is given and wearching for the field.
the same step could be use also to determine the position of permanent magnet.

The left hand rule is a very simple rule to apply -
1) Stretch out the thumb , first finger and the middle finger (!) such that they are mutually perpendicular.
2) If the middle finger is pointing towards the direction of flow of current(I) , then the first finger shows you the direction of the Magnetic field (B) and the thumb gives you the direction of the force experienced on the conuctor.
While applying , make sure you take 2 fingers in the same plane , the third one shall automatically give you the direction in terms of UPWARDS OR DOWNWARDS.
This rule is basically used for determining direction of the quantities and not the magnitude.

The Right hand rule also is applied in a similar way , the diff. is that the thumb gives you the direction of flow of induced current.
Ciao.

What is Flemings Left Hand Rule?

Flemings Left Hand Rule is a scientific law used to determine the direction of force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field.

Who developed Flemings Left Hand Rule?

Flemings Left Hand Rule was developed by English scientist John Ambrose Fleming in the late 19th century.

How does Flemings Left Hand Rule work?

The rule uses three fingers of the left hand to represent the three variables involved in the interaction between a current-carrying conductor and a magnetic field: the force (thumb), magnetic field (index finger), and current (middle finger). By pointing these fingers in the correct directions, the direction of the resulting force can be determined.

What are some practical applications of Flemings Left Hand Rule?

Flemings Left Hand Rule is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, mechanics, and physics to understand and predict the behavior of conductors in magnetic fields. It is also used in the design of electric motors and generators.

Is Flemings Left Hand Rule always accurate?

While Flemings Left Hand Rule is a useful tool for understanding the interaction between current and magnetic fields, it is not always 100% accurate. Factors such as the shape and orientation of the conductor can affect the direction and magnitude of the resulting force, so it should be used as a guide rather than a definitive answer.