My Romantic Woes: A Story of Failed First Dates

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary: Can we just go?" She nods, and we head back to my car.In summary, the protagonist met a local girl through a dating website and they got along well. They decided to meet for their first date at a local sports bar and the date went well. However, Harriet's overweight friend was sitting at the bar and she was jealous. The friend invited them over for a double date and things started going bad. The date ended with Harriet yelling at the protagonist and him leaving. The protagonist met the ex-girlfriend of the protagonist's date at the bar and she didn't know why Harriet was flipping out. Harriet and the protagonist left and the protagonist paid for the drinks.
http://www.themodernjeweler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/papa-evil-eye.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome pic!

I guess I should say I told you so :wink:. It didn't work!.

Now, you can finally move on knowing that this situation with those two girls is just a headache.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.themodernjeweler.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/papa-evil-eye.jpg

That can't be you Ivan. (1) The hosting site is about jewelry, and (2) the guy in that picture could've given the stink eye to the German Empire and ended WWI in 1914. (Might have been able to avert the War of 1812, too.)

Cyclovenom said:
I guess I should say I told you so :wink:. It didn't work!.

Now, you can finally move on knowing that this situation with those two girls is just a headache.

Yeah... I suppose the situation has come to a close. This would be an awesome time for someone to say something reassuring that's not religious or predestination related.

FlexGunship said:
That can't be you Ivan.

If I had to put a name to that pic, I'd say DaveC, based on the avatar.

jarednjames said:
If I had to put a name to that pic, I'd say DaveC, based on the avatar.

I'd say Nostradamus.

He is about the right age, young whippersnapper, and the beard looks about right [were I to let mine grow].

His left eye looks exactly like mine.

Ivan Seeking said:
He is about the right age, young whippersnapper, and the beard looks about right [were I to let mine grow].

His left eye looks exactly like mine.

I see your jeweler and raise you a James Randi!

http://www.randi.org/site/images/stories/randilibrary.jpg

Evo said:
Ultimately the reason I dumped him was because being a soccer player, every inch of his body was hard as stone, it was creepy, he didn't feel human, I felt like I was touching a statue. He was too physically fit.

You are the first I hear to complain that a man is too physically fit. Whats wrong with a warm stone ? :P

DanP said:
You are the first I hear to complain that a man is too physically fit.

Yeppers. Evo, then you're going to go all nuts over me...

How you doin'... :devil:

FlexGunship said:
That can't be you Ivan.

Of course it's not Ivan. It's Santa Claus. Duh!

Something that's not religious and whatnot but reassuring. Well, okay. [As an aside, I think I'll call you Harold, because addressing you as "Flex" when I'm trying to be serious is difficult.]

Harold, you're obviously an intelligent fellow. You're articulate, and you have a good sense of humour. If your pictures are any indication, you're an attractive guy too. It seems to me that you've pretty much got it all going for you. I think you're kind of aware of that.

So here's the deal: stuff like the incident that just happened to you, simply does. No rhyme or reason or body-count in the end. It just does. It's called "life happening". Most of us here have had similar situations happen. Some of us have had worse. Meh. It's part of the ride. I don't know any other way to explain it save to say it may suck right now, but it's so very, very temporary that you'll marvel one day that you even gave it as much attention as this thread.

I know you didn't understand my reference to the situation being humourous, but, again, the long view gives you that. Live life. All of it. That's point-blank serious. Savour each and every flavour and nuance offered to you as you wander through this. Some of it's going to be bitter, some of it's going to be luscious, and if you have the presence of mind to value all of it for the sheer experience it is, you'll have lived life well.

Edited to add: And no. There is no "predestined" stuff. There's no Grand Scheme or Plan for each of us. This is it, as it comes. And it's big and sloppy and messy and sometimes astoundingly, painfully sad and sometimes it's so joyful that you don't think you can stand it. There's no road map, no instruction book, and no one's steering the bobsled. Every inch of it is totally worth it.

That's all I've got, Harold. You'll be fine. You'll even be better one day.

Last edited:
Heh, thanks Georgina. That was both comfortingly sincere, and sincerely comforting.

And I'm Shawn, not Harold.

FlexGunship said:
The Explosion:
A half hour or so goes by, and Mary leans in for a kiss. We kiss (just a peck, I swear) and Harriet loses her cool. She yells

While your date wasn't the drama queen, she continues to tolerate it in her friend, which means that if things developed, you'd have to deal with her friend for life. I'd dump 'em both, Flex, as I don't do drama.

Up to you, though.​

mugaliens said:
While your date wasn't the drama queen, she continues to tolerate it in her friend, which means that if things developed, you'd have to deal with her friend for life. I'd dump 'em both, Flex, as I don't do drama.

Up to you, though.

You're a little bit out of the loop here mugs.

All over I'm afraid.

mugaliens said:

Up to you, though.

GOOD ADVICE, MUG! I'M TAKING IT!

(everyone, shhhhhhhh)

GeorginaS said:
Of course it's not Ivan. It's Santa Claus. Duh!

Something that's not religious and whatnot but reassuring. Well, okay. [As an aside, I think I'll call you Harold, because addressing you as "Flex" when I'm trying to be serious is difficult.]

Harold, you're obviously an intelligent fellow. You're articulate, and you have a good sense of humour. If your pictures are any indication, you're an attractive guy too. It seems to me that you've pretty much got it all going for you. I think you're kind of aware of that.

So here's the deal: stuff like the incident that just happened to you, simply does. No rhyme or reason or body-count in the end. It just does. It's called "life happening". Most of us here have had similar situations happen. Some of us have had worse. Meh. It's part of the ride. I don't know any other way to explain it save to say it may suck right now, but it's so very, very temporary that you'll marvel one day that you even gave it as much attention as this thread.

I know you didn't understand my reference to the situation being humourous, but, again, the long view gives you that. Live life. All of it. That's point-blank serious. Savour each and every flavour and nuance offered to you as you wander through this. Some of it's going to be bitter, some of it's going to be luscious, and if you have the presence of mind to value all of it for the sheer experience it is, you'll have lived life well.

Edited to add: And no. There is no "predestined" stuff. There's no Grand Scheme or Plan for each of us. This is it, as it comes. And it's big and sloppy and messy and sometimes astoundingly, painfully sad and sometimes it's so joyful that you don't think you can stand it. There's no road map, no instruction book, and no one's steering the bobsled. Every inch of it is totally worth it.

That's all I've got, Harold. You'll be fine. You'll even be better one day.

Lovely post, Georgina!

lisab said:
Lovely post, Georgina!

And that is precisely why you're the reigning Queen of Super Terrific People.