Flexible opaque black material

• Thread starter Khashishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, PVC electrical tape is transparent beyond 900nm. It would be a bad choice for a light shroud because it is transparent. Fabric would be a better choice because it is opaque and black.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
I'm looking for a material to use as a light shroud for a joint between a spectrometer and camera. Basically, I want something that is flexible, opaque, black, and fairly thin and not too fragile and something I can readily buy. Do you know any such material? I have used Poron foam before which works ok but I'm wondering if there is something better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical tape?

I use closed-cell neoprene foam. Used as a gasket, when lightly compressed it is very effective.

PVC electrical tape is completely transparent beyond about 900nm - you can see right through it with an IR viewer, so I would avoid that.

Likes Khashishi
Khashishi said:
I'm looking for a material to use as a light shroud for a joint between a spectrometer and camera. Basically, I want something that is flexible, opaque, black, and fairly thin and not too fragile and something I can readily buy. Do you know any such material? I have used Poron foam before which works ok but I'm wondering if there is something better.

Fabric?

Daz said:
PVC electrical tape is completely transparent beyond about 900nm - you can see right through it with an IR viewer, so I would avoid that.
Hrm. OP didn't mention IR.

Perhaps we could use more details.

Daz said:
PF needs an award for totally fascinating and potentially useful cool trivia that only a true geek can appreciate.

Daz said:
That's why I always take my IR viewer along when shopping for new clothes! (Now there's a true geek!)
Or a perv...:biggrin:

Oooo that back-fired, didn't it? I was only joking, of course; I don't really take it.

At least, not since the court case. My probation officer won't allow it.

Still joking. REALLY! JUST JOKING!

1. What is flexible opaque black material?

Flexible opaque black material is a type of material that is both flexible and opaque, meaning it is not transparent and does not allow light to pass through. It can be bent or stretched without breaking or losing its shape.

2. What is flexible opaque black material used for?

Flexible opaque black material has a wide range of applications, including in clothing, packaging, construction, and electronics. It is often used for its durability, light-blocking properties, and ability to conform to different shapes.

3. How is flexible opaque black material made?

Flexible opaque black material can be made from various materials, such as rubber, plastic, or fabric, depending on its intended use. It is typically manufactured through a process of extrusion, where the material is heated and forced through a die to create the desired shape and thickness.

4. Is flexible opaque black material environmentally friendly?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the specific material and its production process. Some materials used to make flexible opaque black material can be harmful to the environment, while others may be more sustainable. It is important to research the specific material and its sources to determine its environmental impact.

5. How does flexible opaque black material compare to other materials?

Flexible opaque black material has unique properties that make it suitable for specific applications. Compared to other materials, it is often more durable, weather-resistant, and light-blocking. However, it may also be less breathable and have a higher environmental impact. The best material choice depends on the intended use and desired properties.