Can the Flexural Strain Formula Determine Strain in a 3 Point Flexural Test?

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an experimental rig involving bending a beam over a hollow cylinder using a tourniquet-style system. The question is whether the flexural strain formula can be used to determine the amount of strain needed to achieve a desired result. The answer is yes, but knowledge of the deflection formula for the beam is also necessary. Overall, the approach being taken seems appropriate for guiding the students in addressing the problem.
FischerBob
I've been tasked with designing an experimental rig for some students and have run into a bit of a cul de sac with this particular issue. Allow me to elaborate:

A beam of known geometry (length, depth, width, etc.) is being bent over a hollow cylinder. The beam has holes machined through at each end. The cylinder is hollow but has a tourniquet-style system attached (via string/rope) that when twisted can bend the beam over it. My question is, can I employ the flexural strain formula to determine how far each end needs to be pulled down via the tourniquet to achieve a desired strain? Does this approach make any logical sense in approaching the problem? I'd like to be able to guide the students in answering this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you are talking about providing a 3 point flexural test. I also assume that the diameter of the cylinder is large compared to the depth of the beam e.g. D > 4h.

Then the answer to your question is yes, you can use the flexural strain formula but you'll also need to know the deflection formula for the beam. Your approach seems fine to me.

1. What is flexural strain application?

Flexural strain application is a method used to measure the amount of deformation or bending of a material when a force is applied to it. This technique is commonly used in materials testing to determine the strength and stiffness of a material.

2. How is flexural strain calculated?

Flexural strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of the material by the original length. This is represented by the equation ε = ΔL/L, where ε is the flexural strain, ΔL is the change in length, and L is the original length.

3. What equipment is needed for flexural strain application?

The equipment needed for flexural strain application includes a testing machine, a support fixture, and a deflection measurement device. The testing machine applies a force to the material, while the support fixture holds the material in place. The deflection measurement device measures the amount of bending or deformation of the material.

4. What types of materials can be tested using flexural strain application?

Flexural strain application can be used to test a variety of materials, including metals, plastics, ceramics, and composites. It is commonly used in the construction, automotive, and aerospace industries to evaluate the performance of different materials and their suitability for specific applications.

5. What are the advantages of using flexural strain application?

One major advantage of flexural strain application is that it can be used to test materials in their actual use conditions, rather than in a controlled laboratory environment. This allows for more accurate and realistic results. Additionally, flexural strain testing is a non-destructive method, meaning the material can be tested multiple times without being damaged.