Questions on Noise Budgeting for Electronics

In summary, the noise produced by a resistor fluctuates with the temperature, and can be measured using a noise spectrometer. It is important to take periodic measurements to ensure that the noise is not causing fluctuations in the resistance.
0xDEADBEEF
A few questions about noise. I am doing a noise budget and I am not sure if everything is correct...

1/f flicker noise

Resistors show this noise. Horowitz specifies microvolt per decade frequency per applied volt.
This would give me a false reading on a four point measurement, at least that is how I understand it, because the applied voltage won't really flicker will it. Is this noise real noise in the resistivity? Does it mean the resistance is not very stable over a year? So when I measure the resistance with an AC Voltage of 100KHz will I see a resistance drift in time caused by flicker noise?

Let's say I measure some voltage, and the measurement is such, that it produces the average value over one second. Can I calculate the expected error due to flicker noise? Can I only specify the expected drift till the next measurement?

If I take 1 measurement every 90 seconds for 5 hours. Am I correct in specifying the bandwidth to be the frequencies between 1/(3 minutes) (sampling theorem) upper and 1/(300 minutes) lower frequency, so two decades for the purpose of flicker noise?

Thermal drift noise

How much and how fast does the temperature of a smd resistor or op amp typically change in a metal box due to air movement in a lab? (external power supply, low power chips) What is the frequency spectrum?

Capacitor noise

Is the noise on a high pass the same as on a corresponding low pass?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a noise budget for electronics?

A noise budget for electronics is a budget that allocates a certain amount of noise to each component in an electronic system. This is important because noise can affect the performance and accuracy of the system, and by setting a budget, engineers can ensure that the system meets its noise requirements.

2. Why is noise budgeting important in electronics?

Noise budgeting is important in electronics because noise can impact the performance and accuracy of the system. By setting a budget, engineers can allocate a specific amount of noise to each component and ensure that the system meets its noise requirements.

3. How do you calculate a noise budget for electronics?

To calculate a noise budget, engineers need to consider the noise sources in the system, such as thermal noise, shot noise, and flicker noise. They also need to determine the noise requirements for the system. Based on this information, engineers can allocate a specific amount of noise to each component in the system.

4. What are common sources of noise in electronic systems?

Some common sources of noise in electronic systems include thermal noise, shot noise, flicker noise, and electromagnetic interference (EMI). Other sources may include power supply noise, crosstalk between components, and external environmental factors.

5. How can noise be reduced in electronic systems?

Noise can be reduced in electronic systems by using high-quality components, proper grounding and shielding techniques, and carefully designing the layout of the system. Using low-noise power supplies and minimizing the number of connections can also help reduce noise in electronic systems.