Monitor Flickering - Troubleshooting Tips

• Thread starter Emieno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, the individual is experiencing flickering and slow movement when scrolling on their monitor, as well as unattractive colors on their task bar icons. They have tried adjusting the screen size and color options, but to no avail. They are seeking assistance in solving this problem and have been advised to check the refresh rate and video card drivers.
Emieno
I am not a computer geek, I don't know what has changed in my system either.
Whenever I scroll down or up the page or folders, the monitor looks like flickering, not smoothly as before, and it moves really slowly.
I tried changing monitor screen size smaller (800x600) or larger (1280x1024), but nothing changes at all. Also, all of the icons in my task bar look ugly since their colors don't fit.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Also, the colors of all of the icons in my task bar do not look good because they are, let's say, over-spilled, faded, I mean.
Anyone can help me solve this problem ? Again, thanks a lot.

Last edited:
It could be worth checking the refresh rate on your monitor.

If you're using Windows, look at the display properties. I think it's under the "Advanced" button. Try changing to a lower refresh rate.

Also, check that you have enough colors - select 16 million or 32 million, not 256.

If its teh entire monitor flickering, something might be wrong with the refresh rate. If its simply the folder view flickering or just the web page flickering, your vidoe card drivers have either corrupted or have been overwritten. Go into your settings and tell us what it says in settings above the # of colors to show. It should say something like *Your monitor* on *Your video card*. For mine, it says Plug and Play Monitor on NVidia Geforce FX 5950 (im too lazy to find the monitor drivers lol).

Tell us what it says there if you can.

What causes monitor flickering?

Monitor flickering can be caused by a variety of factors, including outdated or malfunctioning drivers, loose or damaged cables, and incorrect refresh rates or resolution settings.

How can I fix monitor flickering?

First, try updating your graphics drivers and checking all cables for any damage or loose connections. If that doesn't work, try adjusting your refresh rate and resolution settings. If the issue persists, it may be a hardware problem and you may need to contact a technician.

Can monitor flickering damage my eyes?

While monitor flickering can be annoying and cause eye strain, it is unlikely to cause permanent damage to your eyes. However, it is important to address the issue to prevent further discomfort.

Why does my monitor flicker when I open certain applications?

This could be due to compatibility issues between the application and your graphics drivers. Try updating your drivers or contacting the application's support team for assistance.

Is there a way to prevent monitor flickering in the future?

To prevent monitor flickering, make sure to regularly update your graphics drivers, avoid using damaged or loose cables, and keep your resolution and refresh rate settings within the recommended range for your monitor.