Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Flight mode

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    Does activating flight mode help in reducing mobile radiation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2
    What do you mean by mobile radiation? Assuming you mean the electromagnetic radiation that a phone sends to the nearest tower, then yes, flight mode deactivates all these communications.

4. Jun 13, 2015 #3
    Thanks, but I meant the harmful radiation that harms the brain & the heart

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4
    They have, to my knowledge, never been shown to be harmful. But yes, if you are concerned about them, flight mode gets rid of most of the "radiation".

6. Jun 13, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and adding to that which Rumborak said ....

but, you understand, your phone isn't going to be useable (as a phone) ? ... if you were considering using this mode for times other than when flying

Dave

7. Jun 13, 2015 #6
    Keep also in mind, it's all a question of magnitude. Even in flight mode the phone still emits signals; it is an electrical device after all. Specifically, when you listen to music through headphones, you are squeezing your head between two coils that radiate into your brain. Great sounding radiation though.

8. Jun 13, 2015 #7
    I know that for sure

9. Jun 13, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

so what was your thinking behind your original question ?

it doesn't help reduce it ..... it stops it completely

10. Jun 13, 2015 #9
    We just established that it still radiates, even in flight mode. Just at significantly lower level.

11. Jun 13, 2015 #10

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

who is we and when ??

As far as I'm aware the transmitter is disabled ... do you have references to the contrary ?

from wiki ....

12. Jun 13, 2015 #11
    It's an electronic device. Unless you surround entirely with a metal box, it emits signals.

13. Jun 13, 2015 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah but that's not the issue and not what flight mode is for

flight mode specifically turns off the transmitters and that is all the airlines are worried about
    not the microwatts of random emission

14. Jun 13, 2015 #13
    Yes, but we don't know whether he cares about *all* radiation, or just the antenna radiation. The point is, switching to flight vastly reduces radiation. But it doesn't completely eliminate it. For that you have to pull the battery.

15. Jun 19, 2015 #14
  16. Jun 19, 2015 #15

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and from that report ....
    so...

considering the millions and millions of cellphone users worldwide and now for a significant number of years .. without being an observable increase in cancers ....

what is your problem/worry ??

Dave

17. Jun 19, 2015 #16

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation. I got vertigo from the title and final direction...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook