1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flight path of a disc

1. Jul 17, 2013 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A disc is thrown at a 28° angle to the ground. It landed 39.8m away.

a) What is the velocity of the disc?
    b) How long was the disc in the air?

2. Relevant equations

##θ = 28°##
    ##\vec{Δd}_H = 39.8 m [F]##

3. The attempt at a solution

a) I was thinking I should use the equation ##\vec{Δd}_H = \vec{v}_H Δt##. I of course don't have a time or horizontal velocity to work with, but what I do have is that :

##\vec{v}_H = \vec{v}_R cos(θ)## and subbing back I get ##\vec{Δd}_H = \vec{v}_R cos(θ) Δt## ( Note vR is the resultant velocity ).

Now as for ##Δt##, I want to replace it with ##\frac{2 \vec{v}_R sin(θ)}{\vec{a}}## as I can work with it.

So plugging back into my equation a second time and moving things around a bit I get :

##\vec{v}_{R}^{2} = \frac{ (39.8)(9.8) }{ (1.76)(sin(28°)) }##
    ##∴ \vec{v}_{R} = 22 m/s##

b) I simply use ##Δt = \frac{2 \vec{v}_R sin(θ)}{\vec{a}}## and I get ##Δt = 2.1 s##.

Part a) is the one I'm concerned with. Hopefully it looks okay.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2013 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Without reading your solution, there is a simple question.

Are you to consider this disc as a simple projectile, or is the flight more like a Frisby? If it is like a Frisby, you need much more information.

Are you actually talking about a discus?

4. Jul 17, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yeah I guess disc can be interpreted as a discus. I don't think the question is intending it to be a frisby.

5. Jul 17, 2013 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

If this amounts to a simple projectile, analysis of the vertical and horizontal components leads to a simple range formula, which you may find in your text or on the web.

That formula ultimately involves using the sine of 56o rather than 28o, so I am not sure of your calculations.

where did your 1.76 value come from?

6. Jul 17, 2013 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

##cos(28°) = 0.88## and then (0.88)(2) = 1.76.

7. Jul 17, 2013 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

OK, in that case your figures should be correct.

If you had left your denominator uncalculated it would have read 2.cos28°.sin28°, which, using the double angle formula (sin(2A) = 2.sinA.CosA) equals the sin56° I was expecting to see.

The range formula simplifies to Range = [V2.sin(2θ)]/g or (V2/g).sin(2θ)

which shows maximum range is when sin(2θ) = 1 or θ = 45°.

8. Jul 17, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems a little inaccurate. To preserve accuracy, it's best to work entirely symbolically until the final step. What expression do you get for vR in terms of g, θ and dH if you do that?

9. Jul 17, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yeah I definitely should use that identity more often. It makes it easier to look at for sure. Thanks for your help :).

10. Jul 17, 2013 #9

PeterO

Homework Helper

True: your adoption of the 0.88 value loses the fact it is really 0.882964 so a small variation comes in.

11. Jul 17, 2013 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I don't really mind the inaccuracies of the computations too much, it's the understanding I care for.

12. Jul 17, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, but I would still urge working symbolically until the last. It makes it much easier for others to follow the logic and easier for everyone to spot mistakes. A trick I often use after completing the algebra is to pick a set of easy values, substitute them at various points in it, and see if the answer it gives suddenly changes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted