What is a quick way to approximate flight time off a cliff?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a quick way to approximate the flight time of a projectile thrown downwards off a cliff. The three cases discussed are when the initial vertical velocity is positive, zero, or negative. For the first case, it takes about v_y/10 seconds to reach the peak above the cliff and the new height is H + (v_y)^2/20. For the second case, the projectile is in free fall and H = 5t^2. For the third case, the speaker suggests using the SUVAT equation with a small initial velocity assumption.
grayb
Hi, I'm basically trying to figure out if there's a quick way to approximate the flight time of something thrown downwards off a cliff.

If you throw a projectile off a cliff with height H > 0 above the ground, there are 3 cases:

v_y > 0
v_y = 0 (thrown horizontally off the cliff)
v_y < 0

For v_y > 0, it takes about v_y/10 seconds = t1 to reach the peak above the cliff and the new height is about H + (v_y)^2/20. Since v_y = 0 at the peak, it's like a freefall question from height H + (v_y)^2/20, so you can set H + (v_y)^2/20 = 5t^2, t2 = sqrt(H+(v_y)^2/20) and the total flight time is about t1 + t2.

If v_y = 0 then it's free fall and H = 5t^2 so t = sqrt(H/5).

For v_y < 0 (thrown downwards off a cliff), how can I approximate it without doing a quadratic equation? I guessed t1 + t2 - 1 but I'm not sure if that's right.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
If you assume constant acceleration the SUVAT equation..

s = ut + 0.5at2

(where u is the vertical velocity)

applies apply to all three cases.

One approximation you could make is to assume u is small.

1. How do you calculate flight time approximations?

Flight time approximations are typically calculated by taking the distance of the flight and dividing it by the average speed of the aircraft. This calculation can be influenced by factors such as wind speeds, air traffic, and the type of aircraft being used.

2. Can flight time approximations be accurate?

While flight time approximations can provide a general estimate, they are not always 100% accurate due to external factors that can affect the duration of a flight. These factors can include weather conditions, air traffic, and the efficiency of the airline.

3. How can weather conditions impact flight time approximations?

Weather conditions such as strong winds, storms, and turbulence can impact the speed and efficiency of a flight, leading to longer travel times. This is why flight time approximations may vary depending on the weather forecast.

4. Are there any tools or resources for calculating flight time approximations?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources available for calculating flight time approximations. These tools take into account various factors such as distance, speed, and weather conditions to provide a more accurate estimate. Airlines also provide their own flight time approximations on their websites.

5. How can I plan my trip using flight time approximations?

Flight time approximations can be a helpful tool for trip planning, as they can give you an idea of how long your flight will take and help you plan your itinerary accordingly. However, it is important to keep in mind that these are just estimations and may not always be accurate.