1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flip the spin

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1

KFC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assuming a spin 1/2 is put in a magnetic filed along z direction [tex]B_z = B*cos(w_0 t)[/tex]. At the beginning, the spin is in spin-up along x direction, i.e.

[tex]\psi(0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(
    \begin{matrix}
    1 \\ 1
    \end{matrix}\right)[/tex]

Try to find out the minimum [tex]B[/tex] such that [tex]S_x[/tex] is flip.

2. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, I write than the Hamiltonian of the system

[tex]H \propto
    \left(
    \begin{matrix}
    B\cos w_0t & 0\\
    0 & -B\cos w_0t
    \end{matrix}
    \right)
    [/tex]

From that, in any time t>0, the state will evolute as [tex]\psi(t)[/tex] (I already solved that). From the time-dependent solution, I can figure out the probability to find the spin-down when measuring [tex]S_x[/tex], which is of the following form

[tex]P = \sin^2(\gamma \sin(w_0 t))[/tex]

where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a constant containing B. Hence, to make the system flip, I have to let P=1, i.e.

[tex]\gamma \sin(w_0 t)=\pi/2[/tex]

and solve for B gives

[tex] B = \frac{k}{\sin w_0 t}[/tex]

where k is another constant. For finding the minimum B, I just take [tex]sin w_0t =1[/tex]. I don't know if my solution is correct or not. Any comment?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

it seems like something may be missing from the question... is that the exact statement of the question on the homework?

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

KFC

Thanks for reply. This is not actually an hw. This is an exercise given by my instructor and that's all statement :)

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

then what you have looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?