Flipped-SU(5) Intro: Learn Structure, Phenomenologies and Properties

• Thread starter mjsd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of flipped-SU(5) gauge model, its structure, phenomenologies, and properties. The individual is seeking references and review articles on this topic, and someone suggests checking out section 1.4 of a specific paper and papers by Nanopoulous. The conversation also mentions the use of 10 in higgsing as opposed to 24 and higher reps in traditional SU(5) GUTs. The individual also mentions reading papers by J. Ellis and D. Nanopoulos but notes that many are in the context of SUSY or String. They are also recommended to check out the original Barr paper, available on SPIRES.
mjsd
Homework Helper
new to flipped-SU(5)

wish to learn some intro stuffs on this gauge model: flipped-SU(5), its structure, phenomenologies, properties...etc.
can someone kind enough to suggest some references, review articles which discuss this topic extensively?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
mjsd---

See section 1.4 of this paper. I worked out the details of the higgsing of fSU(5) -> standard model. As for more detailed phenomenology, I'd check papers by Nanopoulous (if I spelled his name correctly).

The main difference is that the 10 is used for higgsing, as opposed to the 24 + higher reps in traditional SU(5) GUTs.

thanks Ben!
nice stuff.
Yeah, I started reading some paper by J. Ellis, D. Nanopoulos.. but many of them are in the context of SUSY or String, which is not what I want... I am just a lowly neutrino physics man
anyway,.. still looking and reading
:smile:
thanks again.

You also might check out the original Barr paper, which is available on SPIRES.

thanks

1. What is "Flipped-SU(5) Intro"?

"Flipped-SU(5) Intro" is a term used in particle physics to describe a theoretical model that combines elements of the Standard Model and Grand Unified Theories. It is based on the symmetry group SU(5) and proposes that the left- and right-handed fermions have different gauge interactions.

2. What is the significance of "Flipped-SU(5) Intro" in particle physics?

"Flipped-SU(5) Intro" is significant because it provides a possible framework for unifying the strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions in particle physics. It also offers explanations for the observed properties of elementary particles, such as their masses and charges, and can potentially be tested through experiments at high-energy colliders.

3. What are the main differences between "Flipped-SU(5) Intro" and the Standard Model?

One of the main differences between "Flipped-SU(5) Intro" and the Standard Model is that the former introduces an additional gauge boson, the X boson, which mediates interactions between left- and right-handed fermions. It also predicts the existence of new particles, such as the color-triplet Higgs boson, which can explain the origin of fermion masses.

4. What are some potential experimental tests for "Flipped-SU(5) Intro"?

Some potential experimental tests for "Flipped-SU(5) Intro" include searches for the predicted X and Higgs particles at high-energy colliders, precision measurements of flavor-changing processes, and observations of proton decay. These tests can help determine the validity of the theory and provide evidence for its predictions.

5. What are the current challenges in studying "Flipped-SU(5) Intro"?

One of the main challenges in studying "Flipped-SU(5) Intro" is the lack of direct experimental evidence for its predictions. Additionally, the theory has many free parameters, making it difficult to make precise predictions. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand and test the validity of this theoretical model.