1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flipping a coin

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Flipping a fair coin 10 times. This creates a word of length 10 of the letters C and L. On average how many times it appears in this sub-word CCLLCC?
    C=crown and L= the other side of coin

i think that if i count CCLLCC in 10 letters of C and L we will have 5 times but how i will find the average?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If 6 of the letters are "CCLLCC" then the other four letters can be either "C" or "L". There are [itex]2^4= 16[/itex] ways to do that. But you also need to allow for where in the set of 10 letters those letters occur.

I assume by "sub-word", you require that the letters "CCLLCC" occur together. Do you see that there are 5 places the initial C can be?

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Hello, I'm not quite sure if I'm right as I'm still a novice in the world of math. It's been a while since I have taken my prob/stats class.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __

There are 2 ways either C or L for each of the spaces above. So, the total number of ways for spelling out a 10 letter word is 2*2*2*2... = [itex]2^{10}[/itex] = 1024

There are 5 ways for CCLLCC to occur inside some of the 10 letter words. One of them looks like this:

C C L L C C __ __ __ __

The spaces containing CCLLCC are all "locked in". So, there are 4 spaces left for choices.

2*2*2*2 = [itex]2^{4}[/itex] = 16
    There are 5 ways in which CCLLCC can occur because you can just shift CCLLCC one space to the right each time to get a new word that contains CCLLCC.

Possible ways of getting a word with CCLLCC in it: 5*16 = 80

I'm not sure what you meant by "average", so I guess you want the probability as well. [itex]\frac{80}{1024}[/itex] = 0.0781

Once again I'm not a 100% sure, but I hope it helps you a bit. :P

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted