Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flirting is done naturally?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. Jul 29, 2009 #1

tgt

This is not a relationship advice topic but a question of science although I am not trained in biology so have not posted in the science sections.

I have a feeling that when one is flirting, usually, it's a natural thing rather then a conscious act. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2009 #2
    I think it only becomes natural once you're good at it... you'd be nervously thinking about it all the time if you were inexperienced.

But then again I'm a nerd.

4. Jul 31, 2009 #3
    I think it is a learned behavior, while the learning curves differ greatly between people, to the point where one person could said to be doing it naturally, where for another it might be quite unnatural.

I know plenty of people that flirt with everything that moves, and don't even realize it.

5. Jul 31, 2009 #4

sylas

Science Advisor

The key to good flirting is sincerity...

... if you can fake that, you've got it made!

6. Jul 31, 2009 #5
    If you're interested in a person and are striking conversation with them, that is flirting. If you're not conscious of being interested in a person, then you're not really interested in them. Therefore I think flirting is by definition a conscious act.

7. Jul 31, 2009 #6
    Flirting is natural. Here is Ferdinand, taking time out during a heated battle, to flirt with a woman, any woman.
    http://failblog.org/2009/07/21/bullfighter-fail" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jul 31, 2009 #7
    Ive flirted accidentally before. I dont even know Im doing it until someone says something to me. Ive done it in front of my boyfriend accidentally. Luckily hes a pretty forgiving guy, but I seem to just slip into that mode unconsciously if someone begins to flirt with me.

9. Aug 1, 2009 #8

tgt

I thought it would be the opposite. If you are really nervous then you tend not to be in control of your consious self.

10. Aug 1, 2009 #9

tgt

On the contrary, many shy people will purposely aviod someone they like. Although it could be a defense mechanism they've built to avoid acting like a fool.

11. Aug 1, 2009 #10

tgt

What's wrong with flirting in front of your bf?

12. Aug 1, 2009 #11
    I guess I just feel its not very considerate. He never said anything to me, but a good friend who was there later told me that he was shocked and seemed anxious about it. Im a pretty independent kind of girl, Im the type to do exactly what you tell me not to just because I can. My BF knows better than to try to tell me not to behave in a certain way, so I can imagine him trying to decide how best to deal with the situation. Hes never mentioned it to me, however knowing it hurts his feelings makes me want to avoid that situation in the future. I call him my boyfriend but we have been together for 4 years and have known eachother as long as I can remember. Were pretty much a sure thing and both consider the relationship to be a forever one. I would be uncomfortable watching him flirt with other girls, I cant expect him to take it any easier than I would.

13. Aug 1, 2009 #12
    How is that contrary to what I said?

14. Aug 2, 2009 #13

tgt

Maybe I have mistaken what you said with my 'on the contrary statement'. However, i don't agree with your conclusion that flirting is by definition a conscious act. You could be concious of the fact that you like someone but that is entirely in your own head. How you act in front of them can be an entirely a different thing. Flirting is all about how you act in front of the person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook