Floating a Battleship in a Bathtub

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
we are talking about one particularly stupid looking bathtub, I know that's beside the point but I think the original statement should be 'float a ship in a bathtub of water', not just 'float a ship in a bathtub'

I know some people seem to find this concept bizarre to the point of unbelievable, but although I did too when I first read it, the way I got around this was with the following thought process. Envisage a ship floating in completely undisturbed water (ie in complete and constant equilibrium) then have divers slowly build a watertight frame around the ship underneath the water just 1 mm away from the surface of the ship... as the last brick goes in, nothing happens.... but you could at that point drain out all the ocean water and still be floating the ship, except in minimal water

just my 2c.

btw, agree about the simple math comments - as an example, the 'bathtub volume' as mentioned by Mangurian would be merely an indicator of your manufacturing tolerances of how accurately you could match the (hyperthetical) bathtub dimensions to the ship dimensions, so not even anything to do with mathematics (that particular variable would be an indicator of manufacturing capability, to pick just one example)

oops, just noticed there is a page 2 - and what is quite bizarre is that Dave has made an almost idenitcal comment to mine - dun dun duuuuuuh...

so apologies for the duplication. but quite interesting never the less!