Build Boat Lift w/ 10,000 lbs Capacity: Tips & Advice

In summary: No, the fuel guages are in gallons. But the sensor in the fuel tank does need re-calibration when the aircraft operates in a country with a different standard.
Mfrank21
I am trying to build my own boat lift that uses plastic tanks submerged to lift the boat when they become filled with air. My problem is that I need to lift about 10,000 lbs and i don't know how large the tanks need to be ( how much water they need to displace ) to lift that amount of weight. I am going to be using two tanks. please help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you need is Archimedes Principle, but there's an easy way to do it for this application.

When the boat is afloat, it displaces a certain volume of water. If you want to "float" it above the water on top of a tank, the tank needs to be the same volume as the part of the boat that was below the waterline - plus a bit more volume, to float the weight of the tanks themselves.

why not use (2) 610 gallon tanks or One 1220 gallon tank to lift the 10,000 pounds. Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gal. at 70 degrees F. We usually use an electric motor with a reduction gearbox driven tooth gear , (a sprocket), which operates a chain that drives a sprocketed shaft that have cables that go through pulleys that lift a cradle that the boat sits in. The motor is able to operate clockwise and counterclockwise for up and down movement. very reliable and durable. These motors are easily found for outdoor environment..much cheaper than using an aircompressor or water pumps with large volume tanks.

Koonism said:
why not use (2) 610 gallon tanks or One 1220 gallon tank to lift the 10,000 pounds. Water weighs 8.33 lbs per gal. at 70 degrees F.

Or 10 lbs per gal, if your boat happens to be in the UK :wink:

The Boat probably weighs more overthere also, so it's all probably relative, ha, ha.

Nope, the boat weighs the same number of pounds, but UK pints and gallons are 20% bigger than US.

Which was not so funny, when somebody refuelled an aircraft using the wrong size of gallon...

AlephZero said:
Nope, the boat weighs the same number of pounds, but UK pints and gallons are 20% bigger than US.

Which was not so funny, when somebody refuelled an aircraft using the wrong size of gallon...
Been there. Thank goodness it was stopped before it happened.

I was joking about the weight of the boat. Doesn't an aircraft have fuel guages that are represented in lbs of fuel rather than gallons? Does the sensor in the fuel tank need re-calibration when the aircraft operates in a country with a different standard?

What is the maximum weight capacity for a boat lift?

The maximum weight capacity for a boat lift is 10,000 lbs. It is important to not exceed this weight limit in order to ensure the safety and stability of the lift.

What type of materials should be used to build a boat lift with a 10,000 lbs capacity?

The materials used to build a boat lift with a 10,000 lbs capacity should be strong and durable, such as steel or aluminum. These materials are able to withstand the weight of a boat and the constant exposure to water.

What are some important safety considerations when building a boat lift?

Some important safety considerations when building a boat lift include ensuring the structure is sturdy and stable, using proper materials and techniques, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the lift to prevent any accidents or damage.

What is the best location for a boat lift?

The best location for a boat lift is in a sheltered area, away from strong currents or waves. It should also be placed in water deep enough to accommodate the boat and allow for easy maneuvering.

How can I ensure proper installation of a boat lift with a 10,000 lbs capacity?

To ensure proper installation of a boat lift with a 10,000 lbs capacity, it is recommended to consult with a professional and follow manufacturer's instructions carefully. It is also important to regularly check the lift for any signs of wear or damage and make any necessary repairs or adjustments.