1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating Cork Ball.

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    not sure why i keep getting it wrong.............maybe caz i misunderstood some concept or something. anhyoo.......here is it:

A cork ball of mass 5.20 g is placed between two very large horizontal plates. The bottom plate has a uniform charge density of +0.22E-06 C/m2, whereas the upper plate has a uniform charge density of -0.06E-06 C/m2. The cork ball, which carries an unknown charge, is placed between the plates and is observed to float motionlessly. What is the charge on the ball?

how i plan to solve it: since it give a mass, so i can find the force its acting downward due to gravity, which is "mg".

n since the ball is not moving up or down, there must be a force equal in magnitude but opposite in direction pointing upward). thus the charge of the ball should be positive.

i used E = (surface charge density) / permittivity of free space (8.85x10^-12)

then use F = qE ----> q = F/E

i ended up with 2.01E-16 C .............but its wrong.
    anyone know why?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2
    omg.lol. never mind. our prof emailed us witha hint on this quesiton -_-"

the magnitude of the electric field = 1/2(sigma/epsilon)

epsilon = permittivity of free space.

well i ended up with 3.22x10^-6 C , which is correct. (but wasted so much time on it)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?