Floating Cork Ball - Charge Calculation

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the charge on a cork ball placed between two charged plates. The process involves calculating the force due to gravity and the electric field, and using the formula F=qE to find the charge. The initial attempt resulted in an incorrect answer, but after receiving a hint from the professor and using the magnitude of the electric field formula, the correct charge of 3.22x10^-6 C was found.
Bailey
not sure why i keep getting it wrong....maybe caz i misunderstood some concept or something. anhyoo...here is it:

A cork ball of mass 5.20 g is placed between two very large horizontal plates. The bottom plate has a uniform charge density of +0.22E-06 C/m2, whereas the upper plate has a uniform charge density of -0.06E-06 C/m2. The cork ball, which carries an unknown charge, is placed between the plates and is observed to float motionlessly. What is the charge on the ball?

how i plan to solve it: since it give a mass, so i can find the force its acting downward due to gravity, which is "mg".

n since the ball is not moving up or down, there must be a force equal in magnitude but opposite in direction pointing upward). thus the charge of the ball should be positive.

i used E = (surface charge density) / permittivity of free space (8.85x10^-12)

then use F = qE ----> q = F/E

i ended up with 2.01E-16 C ....but its wrong.
anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
omg.lol. never mind. our prof emailed us witha hint on this question -_-"

the magnitude of the electric field = 1/2(sigma/epsilon)

epsilon = permittivity of free space.

well i ended up with 3.22x10^-6 C , which is correct. (but wasted so much time on it)

It seems like you have the right approach to solving this problem. However, there may be a few factors that could be causing your incorrect answer. First, make sure you are using the correct units for all of your values. It is important to convert all units to SI units (meters, kilograms, seconds, etc.) before plugging them into any equations.

Another potential issue could be the direction of your forces. Remember that the electric field points from positive to negative charges, so the direction of the force on the cork ball may be different than what you initially thought. Be sure to consider the direction of the electric field in your calculations.

Also, double check your calculations to make sure you are not making any math errors. Sometimes small mistakes in calculations can lead to significantly different answers.

If you are still having trouble, you can try approaching the problem from a different angle. Instead of using the electric field equation, you can also try using the equation for electric force, F = kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99x10^9 Nm^2/C^2). Since you know the distance between the plates and the surface charge densities, you can use this equation to find the force on the cork ball and then solve for the unknown charge.

Remember to always check your work and make sure you are understanding the concepts correctly. Good luck!

1. What is a floating cork ball charge calculation?

A floating cork ball charge calculation is a method used to determine the amount of charge present on a floating cork ball, based on its location in an electric field.

2. How does a floating cork ball charge calculation work?

A floating cork ball charge calculation takes into account the electric field strength and the size and position of the cork ball to calculate the amount of charge present on the ball. This is done using the equation Q = kE(r^3), where Q is the charge, k is a constant, E is the electric field strength, and r is the radius of the cork ball.

3. Why is a floating cork ball charge calculation important?

A floating cork ball charge calculation is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. This can be applied to various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

4. What factors can affect a floating cork ball charge calculation?

The factors that can affect a floating cork ball charge calculation include the strength of the electric field, the size and position of the cork ball, and the presence of other charged particles in the surrounding environment.

5. Are there any limitations to a floating cork ball charge calculation?

Yes, there are some limitations to a floating cork ball charge calculation. This method assumes that the cork ball is a perfect conductor and does not take into account any external forces acting on the ball, such as air resistance or gravity. It also assumes that the electric field is uniform and does not vary in strength or direction.