Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating Frog

1. Jul 3, 2003 #1
    I wonder if you could scale this experiment up with a human it could be fun, mind you im not convinced that the pioneering little frog was alive for very long, if you watch the movie it also seems that only one side of its body works but maybe its just confused or enjoying itself :/

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2003 #2
    It would have to be some powerful field! Also the frog didn't die. I saw a special on tv where they showed them put the frog in an later he was hopping on the table. Magnetic fields really aren't too dangerous to humans unless the field strenght was unimaginably high. There have been experiments where a magnetic pulses are used to induce current in parts of the brain but that wasn't a continuous field like the levitating one is. If you could scale it up you could float a person.
  4. Jul 3, 2003 #3
    The frog doesn't experience any problems. And it lives as long as any other frog. NASA does this on a human level all the time.
  5. Jul 3, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Floating Frog

Wow you sure! How does it work is it just a scaled up version ?
    I want a go ...
  6. Jul 3, 2003 #5

Science Advisor

Where did you hear that ?!
  7. Jul 3, 2003 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, NASA do not do it on a human level (heard this claim before), levitating the frogs required 'nuff power.
  8. Jul 3, 2003 #7

Science Advisor

Yeah, scaling up a 10+ Tesla electromagnet to the size
    of a human is a bit too much...
  9. Jul 3, 2003 #8

As long as it doesn't come near a box of metalic pins & needles, where upon it instantly becomes a pin cushion!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?