Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Floating menu bar

1. Apr 15, 2017 #1
    What is the purpose of that floating menu bar on top, it is quite cumbersome for me on my small screen with its big writing.

You know in the 90s there were frames on every website and we got rid of them because they were universally hated. Now that we all have wide-screen computers and vertical space is at a premium, they've been brought back? Could the bar not be on the side?

Is there an option to turn it off and keep it fixed on the top of the page instead of on top of the screen? Could there be?

Let me give you an idea what a problem it is for some of us: Screenshotfrom2017-04-1517083951cd6.png

Thanks for reading

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you zoomed in a lot in your browser. You could zoom out to have more content on the page.

4. Apr 15, 2017 #3
    I need to be able to see what I a reading, which I can't if I zoom out.

5. Apr 15, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Okay, I was going by the size of the icons elsewhere - they are smaller than individual letters in the image.

The bar has a useful size with typical zoom levels. You could add a userscript to make the bar smaller in your browser.

6. Apr 15, 2017 #5
    I don't have to read the icons so they are the smallest size possible. I don't know how to do that. It was just a suggestion, forget about it. I really don't think the menu has any purpose other than to take up space, if I wanted any of those functions I could scroll up to them. But obviously I am the only one, so never mind. Thanks anyway!

7. Apr 15, 2017 #6
    You are not wrong. It will be an issue for a small number of users with your zoom level. At the moment there isn't an easy solution. The float is convenient for many as you don't need to scroll. For power users, it saves a lot of time and movement. We are planning on reevaluating our style in 2018 and will consider options for your case.

8. Apr 15, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

I use the tool bar very often to access the watched threads and sometimes other functions, and scrolling up to access it every time would be annoying. Fixing it to the top would improve the forum for a few, but make it much worse for most others.
    There are tutorials how to modify the appearance of websites with tools like Greasemonkey.

9. Apr 15, 2017 #8
    I noticed that you're using Firefox. Try this: Move the mouse pointer so that it hovers over the menu bar. Hold down the left mouse button and while you're holding it down press the delete key on your keyboard. Of course this won't work if you're not using a mouse. I'll see if I can find a way to do it without the mouse.

Edit:
    I just realized that this is a NoScript feature and not a feature of FireFox. So you'll need to add the NoScript addon to use this feature.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  10. Apr 15, 2017 #9

mfb

2016 Award

You can also use right-click -> inspect element and then delete it, but you would have to do this for every forum page you load.

11. Apr 15, 2017 #10

berkeman

+1.0 I use it quite a lot, and like having access to it all the time. :smile:

12. Apr 16, 2017 #11

OCR

He might have his zoom function configured like this... ?

Zoom text only.JPG

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted