1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating points

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    This should be an easy one, but my PC is bugging me!!! Based on the floating point definition:

F = [tex]\pm[/tex]( [tex]\stackrel{m}{\overline{B^{t}}}[/tex])[tex]B^{e}[/tex]

Where B is the base (usually 2), m is the mantissa and varies from 1 [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]B^{t}[/tex] - 1. e is the exponent (1024 for double and 128 for single precision machines).

Quetion: what is the smallest intenger that DOES NOT belong to this floating point definition.

Solution: Since we want to minimize the denominator term we will let t=1, This would again let m =1. Hence, we can conclude that this said integer is 2[tex]^{1023}[/tex]. However, I cannot verify this on the computer. In matlab, if I have this number and I add 1 to it, it gives me back the same number instead of Inf as I expect it. Can someone tell me how to verify this on a computer, or if my analysis is wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted