Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere

In summary, the problem is asking for the fraction of the volume of the shell that is submerged when it is floating in a liquid with a density of 1.5 times the density of the glass. The solution involves setting the weight of the displaced liquid equal to the weight of the shell and using the volume of the shell and the volume of the outer sphere to calculate these weights. After solving for the fraction of the volume of the shell, the correct answer is 0.28.
Fruityloop

Homework Statement

A hollow, spherical glass has an inner radius of R and an outer radius of 1.2R. The density of the glass is d. What fraction of the shell is submerged when it floats in a liquid of density ρ = 1.5d (1.5 times the density of the glass)? (Assume the interior of the shell is a vacuum.)

Homework Equations

W=ρgh
Volume Sphere = (4/3)πr^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to set the weight of the water displaced equal to the weight of the shell. (Sum of forces = 0, Bouyont Force - Mass of Shell = 0, BF = Mass of Shell. For weight of shell I used W=ρgh with the volume being the volume of a sphere with r of 1.2R minus volume of a sphere with r of R. For the volume of water displaced I just used some variable fraction multiply by the volume of a sphere equation. ds and Rs then cancel out. I know the answer I'm supposed to get is 0.28, but I keep getting 0.48. Any insight towards a full solution would be hugely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The fluid is not water. You have to take its density into account.

ehild

I think I took that into account. I had it set up;

BF=Weight of Shell
ρgh (liquid) = ρgh (shell)

(1.5)dgh = dgh

d cancels?

What is h? You need to use the volume of the shell to get the weight of the shell and the volume of the outer sphere to get the weight of the displaced fluid.

ehild

Oh sorry stupid typo. h is supposed to be V. I am fallowing you, that was my logic. I just don't know how to get from there to my answer >.<

The volume of the shell is not the same as the volume of the outer sphere.

ehild

Just to add a little noise into the relative peace and calm, when the problem statement asks for "What fraction of the shell is submerged", does it mean what fraction of the mass of the shell is submerged, what fraction of the volume of the shell (sphere!) is submerged, what fraction of the surface area of the shell is submerged, or what fraction of the diameter of the shell is submerged? :devil:

gneill said:
Just to add a little noise into the relative peace and calm, when the problem statement asks for "What fraction of the shell is submerged", does it mean what fraction of the mass of the shell is submerged, what fraction of the volume of the shell (sphere!) is submerged, what fraction of the surface area of the shell is submerged, or what fraction of the diameter of the shell is submerged? :devil:

It is fraction of the volume of the sphere, according to the "supposed" answer, but you are right, the question is not clear.

ehild

Thanks for the help. I figured it out. @gneill, it is such an elusive question. I wasnt sure exactly what it was asking either.

1. What is the Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere?

The Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere (SFHGS) is a measure of the portion of a hollow glass sphere that is submerged in a liquid when placed in that liquid. It is typically expressed as a percentage.

2. How is the Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere calculated?

The Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere is calculated by dividing the volume of the hollow glass sphere that is submerged by the total volume of the hollow glass sphere, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

3. What factors can affect the Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere?

The Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere can be affected by the density of the liquid, the size and shape of the hollow glass sphere, and the surface tension between the liquid and the glass.

4. What is the significance of the Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere?

The Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere is an important parameter in various industries, such as oil and gas, where it is used to determine the effectiveness of hollow glass spheres in reducing the density of drilling fluids and enhancing oil recovery.

5. How is the Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere used in research and development?

The Submerged Fraction of Hollow Glass Sphere is used in research and development to study the behavior of hollow glass spheres in different liquids and to optimize their performance for various applications, such as in insulation materials and lightweight composites.