1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floating stacked books

  1. Oct 19, 2009 #1
    I'm curious as to the name of a particular "effect."

    Imagine a stack of 10 books, uniform in weight and size, each 9 inches across. Now Imagine flaring them out in one inch intervals, forming a staircase. The topmost book is going to be one inch out from the bottom most book, and effectively "floating." What is the name of this? I know its not a keystone, but similar. I understand how it works, but i just don't know the name of it. Thank you :)

    A picture of my own creation of the effect can be viewed here: http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu252/ulfsark9/StackedBooks.gif [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2
    The standard solution limit is the series 1/2 plus 1/3 plus 1/4 plus 1/5 etc. But a better one was published in Science magazine under the title "The Joys of Longer Hangovers"
    Bob S

    See longer hangover here (see post #8):
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    Harmonic Overhang! Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Floating stacked books
  1. Floating Halo (Replies: 0)

  2. Floating ice (Replies: 7)

  3. A floating mirror. (Replies: 4)

  4. Boat float (Replies: 5)