1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floor function identity

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

rbj

the [itex]\theta[/itex] function is the unit step function, so they are creating a staircase function out of the steps (the infinite summation), and that becomes the floor function.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    But what does the z mod 1 mean? I've never seen people use 1 as a modular base before?

5. Mar 23, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The notation ##z## mod 1 means that you take the element ##x\in [0,1)## such that ##z-x\in \mathbb{Z}##.

If you wish, you can put an equivalence relation ##x\sim y~\Leftrightarrow ~x-y\in \mathbb{Z}## on ##\mathbb{R}##. We can then look at equivalence classes. It won't be the exact same thing as what I said in my first sentence though.

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5
    Are there any formulas that compare any positive real number r with floor[r]? I know that their difference is the fractional part of r, which is {r}, but I mean are there any formulas where you can obtain these values systematically?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook