Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Florescent bulbs starting energy

1. Jul 14, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Now Ive heard this so much that i just have to get a complete answer to it. Since they run on AC current, i wonder "Ok maybe this myth is right because i don't have a good enough understanding about alternatig current". The idea is that a flourescent bulb (sp?) uses more energy turning on then it will take to run for 30minutes to 1 hour. I figured i could try to guesstimate the OOM with DC current figuring "ok i dont think the estimation can be THAT far off using DC principles".

When i did the math.... ok yah you need a power cable capable of 'hooking up' directly to a nuclear reactor :biggrin: . So im skeptical! I'm calling on hte experts! Does it require more energy to keep a flourescent bulb on for 30 minutes then it does to start the thing?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

4. Jul 14, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that's what i've wondered about. I had looked them up and figured there must be a large jump in current... but THAT big? Obviously not...

5. Jul 14, 2006 #4

SGT

The starting power is much greater than the average one, but it lasts for only a short time, so the energy (power x time) is not great.

6. Jul 14, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I think this misconception may have come from the fact that HID lamps need to be heated for several minutes before lighting, and that does use a significant amount of power.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  7. Jul 14, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I don't like being next to one of our metal hailide lamps when they turn on. It kinda scares me.

8. Jul 14, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So this is all officially a 'myth'?

9. Jul 18, 2006 #8
    Basic estimation will get you far. Residential circuit-breakers typically max out at 15A; at 120V this means the instantaneous power consumption of all appliances on that circuit, can never exceed 1800W. Even a 100ms (~6 cycles) startup transient at the maximum possible current, which is clearly a strong upper bound, would consume 180J; a 20W fluorescent bulb would consume as much in 9 seconds of normal use. So there you go.

The OP mentions "more energy turning on then it will take to run for 30minutes to 1 hour." In an hour, a 20W bulb consumes 72,000 Joules; it would take 40 seconds for any appliance to consume this much without tripping the breakers. This of course is grossly unresonable for a transient.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?