Florescent bulbs starting energy

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that fluorescent bulbs use more energy to turn on than they do to run for a longer period of time. The participants also mention the role of the ballast in a fluorescent bulb and the amount of current needed to start the bulb. They ultimately conclude that this is a myth and provide an estimation to support their claim.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Now I've heard this so much that i just have to get a complete answer to it. Since they run on AC current, i wonder "Ok maybe this myth is right because i don't have a good enough understanding about alternatig current". The idea is that a flourescent bulb (sp?) uses more energy turning on then it will take to run for 30minutes to 1 hour. I figured i could try to guesstimate the OOM with DC current figuring "ok i don't think the estimation can be THAT far off using DC principles".

When i did the math... ok yah you need a power cable capable of 'hooking up' directly to a nuclear reactor :biggrin: . So I am skeptical! I'm calling on hte experts! Does it require more energy to keep a flourescent bulb on for 30 minutes then it does to start the thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yah that's what I've wondered about. I had looked them up and figured there must be a large jump in current... but THAT big? Obviously not...

The starting power is much greater than the average one, but it lasts for only a short time, so the energy (power x time) is not great.

I think this misconception may have come from the fact that HID lamps need to be heated for several minutes before lighting, and that does use a significant amount of power.

Last edited:
I don't like being next to one of our metal hailide lamps when they turn on. It kinda scares me.

So this is all officially a 'myth'?

Basic estimation will get you far. Residential circuit-breakers typically max out at 15A; at 120V this means the instantaneous power consumption of all appliances on that circuit, can never exceed 1800W. Even a 100ms (~6 cycles) startup transient at the maximum possible current, which is clearly a strong upper bound, would consume 180J; a 20W fluorescent bulb would consume as much in 9 seconds of normal use. So there you go.

The OP mentions "more energy turning on then it will take to run for 30minutes to 1 hour." In an hour, a 20W bulb consumes 72,000 Joules; it would take 40 seconds for any appliance to consume this much without tripping the breakers. This of course is grossly unresonable for a transient.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the starting energy requirement for fluorescent bulbs?

The starting energy requirement for fluorescent bulbs varies depending on the type and wattage of the bulb. Generally, it can range from 3 to 5 times the wattage of the bulb. For example, a 15-watt fluorescent bulb may require 45 to 75 watts of energy to start.

2. Why do fluorescent bulbs require more energy to start?

Fluorescent bulbs contain a gas mixture that needs to be ionized in order to produce light. This ionization process requires a higher amount of energy compared to the amount needed to sustain the light once the bulb is lit.

3. How does the starting energy affect the lifespan of fluorescent bulbs?

The starting energy can affect the lifespan of fluorescent bulbs. Frequent cycling on and off of the bulb due to insufficient starting energy can shorten its lifespan. It is important to use the recommended starting energy to ensure the longevity of the bulb.

4. Can the starting energy of fluorescent bulbs be reduced?

Yes, the starting energy of fluorescent bulbs can be reduced by using a device called a ballast. Ballasts control the amount of energy that is supplied to the bulb, allowing for a more efficient starting process and reducing the strain on the bulb.

5. Do all fluorescent bulbs have the same starting energy requirement?

No, the starting energy requirement can vary between different types and brands of fluorescent bulbs. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific bulb being used to determine the correct starting energy.